Need help choosing receiver

MyGoesTo11

I just got back from checking out different setups,receiver's around $250-350ish range. Here is what I found...all these ONKYO's were open item or just sale price. Onkyo txsr801 702 574 504 503 the 801 was $400 with change The other brand was Denon and best buy was getting rid of them for $330 AV2805 $420 AV2806 and the sales person said to make an offer on those soo.I also looked at some Yamaha's,Sony's but don't have any product numbers on them.I'll be running my PC,PS2,CD player through the system so Im looking for optical connection for the Ps2,and I have SPDIF connection for the PC.(would usb be better?).This will be my first receiver so any help will be appreciated and Im open to other brands. Will be running Rsx-3/Rcx-3's no sub yet.

I just got back from checking out different setups,receiver's around $250-350ish range. Here is what I found...all these ONKYO's were open item or just sale price. Onkyo txsr801 702 574 504 503 the 801 was $400 with change The other brand was Denon and best buy was getting rid of them for $330 AV2805 $420 AV2806 and the sales person said to make an offer on those soo.I also looked at some Yamaha's,Sony's but don't have any product numbers on them.I'll be running my PC,PS2,CD player through the system so Im looking for optical connection for the Ps2,and I have SPDIF connection for the PC.(would usb be better?).This will be my first receiver so any help will be appreciated and Im open to other brands. Will be running Rsx-3/Rcx-3's no sub yet.

In your budget range, check out Panasonic's SA XR55 or SA XR57. It should run about $230 to $300. I kno wPanasonic is a cheap brand but these are digitally amplified and digital amps sound fantastic with horns. You will be amazed.

Chris

This is alot harder then I thought,the speakers schould be here monday so I have to decide without making a bad decision in a short time.Im mostly listen to music 40%/movies 30%/games 30% like everything loud as hell,crisp,clean(who dosent).Im leaning twoards refurbished,open item,discontinued items to get more bang for the buck.The Denon avr 2106 listed in in the begining goes for around $600,if I could get it down to under $375 should I get it,or the Onkyo txsr801 under $400 should I grab it or are there better options out there.$400 is steep for me right now but I hate buying complete garbage just to hold me over.

This is alot harder then I thought,the speakers schould be here monday so I have to decide without making a bad decision in a short time.Im mostly listen to music 40%/movies 30%/games 30% like everything loud as hell,crisp,clean(who dosent).Im leaning twoards refurbished,open item,discontinued items to get more bang for the buck.The Denon avr 2106 listed in in the begining goes for around $600,if I could get it down to under $375 should I get it,or the Onkyo txsr801 under $400 should I grab it or are there better options out there.$400 is steep for me right now but I hate buying complete garbage just to hold me over.

I sold a $4,000 Denon receiver (AVR 5800) and replaced it with a Sony STA DR5000ES because it is digitally amplified. The only reason that I bought the Sony is because it was relatively cheap on Audiogon. I also ran tri-amplified K-horns using Teac Digital amps for the top end. This was part of a very expensive system (Peach pream, K Horns, Yamaha pro digital crossover, Ah! CD Player) and it fit right in. Do a search here on the forum on digital amplifiers. If you listen to music a lot you owe it to yourself. Go to the two channel forum and ask.

Chris

Just picked up a Sony STRDE998, $324.88 at Vanns, online. Delivered in two days, was 425.00 at Circuit City. Bought it under recommendation of someone on the board and have not been disappointed. Although, some may say Sony does not put out a good sound, this one kicks.

I will echo the STRDE998 recommendation. I have had mine for about 2 months now. For the price point it is an excellent buy and I like it for the power and a phono input. I have owned Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Technics and Onkyo receivers over the years and this one sounds the best. It sounds very good on music CD's, DVD's, Vinyl and TV. IMHO!

I have always had good luck with Sony, also liked Kenwood equipment. Bottom line, it's all good equipment, you have to pick what's best for you.................price, sound, dependability, looks,................it all factors in to your final purchase...............it's your money..................