OT: It's official - The Captain #19 is retiring

picky

Detroit Red Wing, and Team Captain, Steve Yzerman #19, announced his intention to retire moments ago. He was the longest-serving captain in the National Hockey League. He played in 1,514 games and was team MVP 10 times. He followed in the footsteps of #9 Gordy Howe. He played the last year in pain from his knee and he knew it was time to pass the baton to someone else. This guy has always been one class act

Thanks for all those years of thrilling us, Stevie! Now go enjoy your family and your retirement! Spend some time with your kids and work on that golf game! I sure hope he sticks around the Detroit area. I will surely miss seeing him on the ice. It's the end of an era for us here in Hockeytown. -Glenn

post-10177-13819302063002_thumb.jpg

Yes sir ... definatly the end of an era for detroit fans , stevie was a class act as well as a hockey talent . Hopefully we'll see his return to the NHL in another form , it's hard to completly walk away from the game .

Up here in edmonton we just got rid of pronger to the ducks for Joffery lupul and picks ...

Rumour around town is chris was pounding a local sports caster and knocked her up to boot , it's no wonder his wife wants him out of edmonton ... What a piece of excriment

Yeah, Stevie Y played all 22 seasons of his career, here in Detroit, winning 3 Stanley Cups. Amazing! I understand that his first role after retirement is to be as a special assistance the Team's General Manager, Ken Holland. From there, Steve says we wants to garner an eventual major role behind the scenes. He doesn't see himself becoming coach right now, but he said, "Who knows?" In 3 years, he'll be eligible for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The team is said to be talking about maybe giving Stevie's skating role to Henrik Zetterburg and the "C" may go to Nicklaus Lidstrom. They could not pick a more deserving man for the role of captain, in my opinion. Rumor has it as of this morning; the Wings are talking to Eddie Belfour (Toronto's goalie) as they eliminated Manny Legace weeks ago from their roster and currently have only Chris Osgood on a renewed contract.

This morning's front page of the 'Detroit Free Press' says it all: BTW: Happy 4th of July, everyone!

post-10177-13819302099252_thumb.jpg