My New Job as FOH Engineer

Congrats on the new job. Unfortunately, it's just like studio session work: It can be either Heaven or Hell, depending on what level of talent you are working with. You must learn to take the good with the bad.

I understand your concern about hearing preservation....

When I used to mix bands in clubs, it used to get pretty loud, yet my hearing is still great even though I'm 54 years old. I used to wear a pair of earplugs that have self-adjusting diaphragms in them that would allow you to hear the music well enough to mix, but they would begin attenuating the sound more-and-more as it got into harmful levels.

Check out these musician's ear plugs: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme-ts.aspx

They are usually rather expensive. Your hearing should be worth the cost. Best of luck!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice on the earplugs, I am going to check them out. As Picky mentioned, they may be expensive, but it's a small cost to pay to preserve my ears.

I have talked to the manager about my volume limitations, and we have decided to transition to mixing stage monitors, instead of FOH for the loud gigs. It works out well, because I don't need to hear AS well for that, and can get away with using heavier ear plugs. Plus with the professionals, it isn't as loud on stage as it is in the house. They really know how to control their stage volume. I just recently did monitors for The Platters, The Drifters, and The Coasters. It was a lot of fun, those guys have A LOT of talent! I'm more of a singer/songwriter and rock guy, but when the Platters sung Unchained Melody, I was entranced, very impressed! So there is a lot of fun to be had.

Next Friday, I may be doing monitors for an Artimus Pyle, which may be louder than Motown, I would suspect.

I think getting those etomyc (sp?) earplugs will make my job easier for either position, by giving me enough attenuation, but also even frequency response. I will DEFINETLY check them out.

-Jon

Congrats on the new job. Unfortunately, it's just like studio session work: It can be either Heaven or Hell, depending on what level of talent you are working with. You must learn to take the good with the bad.

I understand your concern about hearing preservation....

When I used to mix bands in clubs, it used to get pretty loud, yet my hearing is still great even though I'm 54 years old. I used to wear a pair of earplugs that have self-adjusting diaphragms in them that would allow you to hear the music well enough to mix, but they would begin attenuating the sound more-and-more as it got into harmful levels.

Check out these musician's ear plugs: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme-ts.aspx

They are usually rather expensive. Your hearing should be worth the cost. Best of luck!

Weren't they called Nortronics back then Picky? They had a canister on the outside and a diaphram that would slam shut when a hot impulse noise hit you like someone dropping something, rifle shot, or snare rim shot.

They have them like that today, but they are made in increments that allow various -db of attenuation. And yes, they are costly.

M