Kenny Burrell's 75th Birthday Bash at Catalina's

Best of Kenny Burrell

Legenday jazz guitarist (BB King calls him the best quitar player--ever!) Kenny Burrell with be at Catalina's for four nights--two sets each night-from Thursday through Sunday with a TOP NOTCH quintet in celebration of his 75th birthday. I have heard Kenny play live at least once a year for the past 25 years or so and I reamain a HUGE fan. I will be there tomorrow night and probably on Sunday night as well.

Anyone in SoCal who loves music, who loves the electric guitar or who just wants a fun evening out in Hollywood should make every effort to get to Catalina's over the next four evenings!

http://catalinajazzclub.com/

And for you rock fans-Kenny Burrell was Jimi Hendrix' FAVORITE guitar player!

Come check him out and find out WHY that is!

Catalina1_big.gif

Thanks, Allan!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Wish I was there to hear a piece of that crazy Kenny Burrell. As a guitarist for 35 years all my jazz records are guitar oriented and Kenny is the best I have heard for straight up cool (but my jazz listening experience is limited).

I love the way he plays - I have listened to his Midnight Blue album (1982) for many years (with Stanley Turrentine, Major Holley, Bill English, and Ray Barretto). The song Mule to me is quintessential, the bass is so dead on cool, the song is pure jazzy blues, and when the horn comes out of nowhere that sassy sax just gets me there...

Kenny plays a funny way - sometimes he plays the chords and passing chords lightly but intersperses his solo playing in a louder different way, all mixed together like it was two guitarists.

The standard, Gee Baby Ain't I good To You is so perfectly executed, soulful, melodic, true jazzy guitar - and again he does the neatest thing; he starts playing sort of 'regular' without any spin, just good tone and focus on the head of the song, then he gets into it and starts getting slightly 'out of the box' for some of the best I've heard - and what a great tune! He really knows how to draw you in as he shows what he can do without being flashy, just sending his talent to the part of my mind that loves what I'm hearing.

Man, I love the way he plays.

Pauln

Man, I love the way he plays.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Pauln

Yeah. me too! I've been lucky living here in LA--Kenny is head of the Jazz Studies program at UCLA and he plays gigs here all the time--less in the last 6-7 years, but througout the 90's you could catch him at least 4-5 times a year. Now he does a couple of 4-night gigs at Catalina's per year. I last saw him about a year ago and his chops were INTACT--he really, really played great.