Bookself or Surround speakers

Rick_Derris

I currently have the old synergy series speakers. And I have a 5.1 setup right now with the sf-3's, sc-3, and ss-3's. I am thinking of going to 7.1, and I figure I need to do it soon, otherwise i wont be able to get the matching pieces. And, before you say anything, I know I should upgrade to the reference's,but money is tight, because i'm going to be quiting my soul sucking job, so I am probably going to have this for a long while, Which isnt too bad because I happen to like them, but I have never heard the reference series, so like they say ignorance is bliss.

Anyway, I was wondering, if I should get the SB-3 or SS-3 for my second set of surrounds? What would be the difference between them, I know the technical stats, but sonicly how would they be different? Also, if I got the SB-3's, should I put them on the side position or the rear position?

Thanks for your help,

Rick

How close is to the listening position to the rear wall and the side

walls? I would ditto the previous recommendation unless there is a

large disparity in difference - in which case I would put the

bookshelfs in the location further from the listening position.

So if your listening position is up against the rear wall, then go

SS-3's in the rear. I wouldn't use bookshelves on the rear wall unless

you were at least 5 feet away from it.

Another thing to consider is achieving perfect timbre-matching.

Surround signals that pan around a lot will sound better having all of

the surround speakers being identical.

I know this probably isn't helping you to make up your mind, but at

least it's something to think about. When in doubt, just go with

what THX recommends...it's not like you'll end up with something that

sounds bad.

yeap, now I'm more confused. So THX doesnt recommend the SS type speakers? I guess that would make sense, becuase they would probably throw the sound around a bit more, and then the sound is less localized. So Ideally I should have go with bookshelf for the surrounds? And the SB-3's will Timbre-match my other speakers right?

Right now, I have an apartment with the worst layout ever for a HT system. my mains are 8 feet apart, and the surround are 11 feet back from my mains. So there currently is no way for me to sit 5 feet from the back rears,.. unless I sit 6 feet from the mains, and I'm not sure that is ideal. But like I said, I'm have these for a while, so hopefully after I get a new job and new place, I will have a better setup.

So, if each was given there ideal setup, the bookshelves would be better then the surrounds? And say I put the bookshelves in the back, how high should I put them?

Thanks,

Rick

yeap, now I'm more confused. So THX doesnt recommend the SS type speakers?

TKDA: In their ideal set-up the WDST surrounds would go on the sides and the Bookshelves in the back less than 3 ft apart (may even be 1 ft. apart)

I guess that would make sense, becuase they would probably throw the sound around a bit more, and then the sound is less localized. So Ideally I should have go with bookshelf for the surrounds? And the SB-3's will Timbre-match my other speakers right?

TKDA: I feel like they would especially for back surrounds. Keep your receipt. [;)]

Right now, I have an apartment with the worst layout ever for a HT system. my mains are 8 feet apart, and the surround are 11 feet back from my mains. So there currently is no way for me to sit 5 feet from the back rears,.. unless I sit 6 feet from the mains, and I'm not sure that is ideal. But like I said, I'm have these for a while, so hopefully after I get a new job and new place, I will have a better setup.

TKDA: I would experiment with the SB-3's positioning before making them permanent. My gut reaction would be to put them 3 ft apart, slightly higher than ear level.

So, if each was given there ideal setup, the bookshelves would be better then the surrounds? And say I put the bookshelves in the back, how high should I put them?

TKDA: That's not exactly what each of us said. {edit: That may have been the consensus and what THX recommends} Everyone's room is different and there may be other suggestions now that you have posted a little more info. [:)]

Thanks,

Rick

Unfortunately, experimentation is required to find the exact best set up. Good Luck.

How wide is your room and where would the side surrounds be mounted?

Based on your description I would definetly go SS-3's in the rear and

lean towards the SB-3's for the sides. In this case it's more of a

coverage issue than ambience.

I would mount your rear surrounds on the wall, just above ear height at

the ends of the couch (so the center driver is firing straight out over

the armrests). Put the side surrounds at the same height and directly

to the sides of the listening position. Experimentation would involve

sliding the rear surrounds closer to the middle, but don't go wider

than the couch.

The advantage to this approach is that when you move to a different

apartment or house in the future, you will have the option to run SB's

in the rear and SS's on the sides if you end up in a better acoustical

environment.

Use the SB's for whatever set is FARTHEST from the listening postion so the directionality will help you localize where the sound is coming from. Use the SS for whichever set is CLOSEST to you so the wide dispersion will aid in not being able to localize too much.

One pair of each will give the best flexibility in a variety of settings.

Michael

This is similar to what I am looking for in an upgrade. Currently I have SS-3's set up in the side position in a 5.0 setup. Had been thinking of LB and RB with bookshelves and the SB-3 would work fine. Question is: Can they be mounted on back wall? Are there mounts available to accomodate this? My SS-3's are about 7' above ground on wall. Thanks.