Heresy TH-SR

jackpod

I bought one of the pairs that were on Ebay. Cabs are a little beat-up but for the money they look great. Internals are K-22-K woofer and K-53-K mid with an E2 crossover. Which K77 and E series crossover should I try to find to match the other drivers? (Heresy, Heresy II) Serial # are 8617680 & 86, anyone have any idea how old they are?

I plan on using these as rear ambience speakers to go with my Belles (and some day KHorns)

BTW my bells have the K-77-M (square magnet) so I guess maybe I answered that question, so about the crossover?

Thanks!

That is a bit interesting and confusing.

The K-22-K sounds like a Heresy I.

The K-53-K sounds like Heresy II

The E2 crossover sounds like Heresy I.

The Heresy I should have a K-77 tweeter.

The Heresy II should have a K-76 tweeter.

Bob Crites

The last of the Heresys (1984 to 1985) had a K22, K-53-K on a K701 or K-52-H on a K700, a K77M, and an E2 network. E2 network is just an E with a 33 uF cap across the woofer circuit. So, all you have to do is add the tweeter. FWIW, if you don't need the 2 or 3 dB extra the K77M gives you above 11 kHz or so, a K77 will do just as well. Some folks even prefer the K77 to the K77M.

Bob, Thanks for the info. I am really enjoying the AA's I bought from you for my belles.

Daddy Dee, Yes but I think I want to keep them as they are and make a little stand for some K-77's to just set on top rather than cut the baffle. With a little sandpaper and some new black paint they will look great. Total cost including shipping to Flagstaff was $235. I figured I couldn't go wrong. I might even go all out and put a pair of DuKane Ionovacs on top!

Jack

Now if i could find a pair of KHorns and a single La Scala or Belle, I could have a horn loaded 7.1 sourround system :)

You did well on those. Wish I could have gotten in for a pair.

I'd hook em up and try em as is without the K77's first. That K52 is a pretty nice mid. I'm sure someone has the numbers but with the 1.5" voice coil it might go considerably higher than the K55 (just a guess, okay guys).

Perhaps you don't really need that full of range for the surrounds anyway. I'd try it and see.

I gave them a listening test last night, used a Mac 2100 off the surround output of my Mac C39 with 16ms of delay. almost exactly what I was hoping to achieve. Just a slight bit "middy" so I am going to put some K77's on top. They match my Belles. My hearing needs all the help it can get on the top end (i'm an old fart), tweets should top it off. I have used rear ambience speakers for years before I got the Belles, this was the one thing missing from my system. This addition really opened up my soundstage

Jack

I bought a pair of these too, but mine are def Heresy II's. And they have the TH-SR2 crossovers in them, with nothing going to the tweeter. Here's a pic. Do I need a new crossover to go threeway? Or can I just mod this one? Or get Bob to do it?

post-14571-13819304759924_thumb.jpg

I'd like to see a better picture. Now a couple other things (in regards to mine) I know nothing about Heresy's I bought them on the recomendation of several folks here on the board (re:post about a good match for rear ambience for my Belles) On a normal pair is the terminal block on the top or bottom edge of the back panel? (mine is on the top) in relaltion to the label. My grill has a cutout for a tweeter, the baffle doesn't, but if I orientate them so the badge is correct, the horn is on the bottom, so I am assuming (I know) that this model was built upside down? possibly for mounting up on the theater wall? It really doesn't matter, I have them so the horn is on the top, I can relocate the badge, just that the bottom is in a little worse shape than what appeared to be the top, nothing that can't be taken care. One other thing, they sound good but is it typical that there is no acoustic padding in the box?

Thanks!

Jack

better yet cut the foam the depth of the cabinet, and tuck it into the length of one side and the bottom. You are trying to dampen the standing waves between paralled sides. The back is not a problem because it's mate the front is covered in bumpy stuff (the drivers). I think it's a fairly dense 1" foam that is used nowdays.