Home Theater Help

kenjidm

Please help. I have the Reference 35 series (rf-35, rc-35,rb-35, rs-35, and the 10w woofer) and am running it with a Sony STR-DA5000ES receiver.

Do you think that my receiver is good enough to maximize my speaker capabilities? If not, what would you recommend...

Here's a link to specs and reviews on the 5000ES, sounds like a killer unit. I did notice one guy said it wasn't very loud. Turns out he had it in NIGHT mode, kind of a compressed sound field. Make sure you aren't defaulted to that.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Sony_STR-DA5000ES_7_1_THX_EX_DTS_ES_Channel_Home_Audio_Receiver/display_~reviews

You'll be just fine. Enjoy.

Good question..it's not that I am not happy with it, but my theory is to make sure that I am matching everything properly to get the right setup. I can probably use a crappy receiver and still not notice the difference. well that may be a little extreme, but you get my drift.

So I guess I just want confirmation and advice as to whether or not I am putting together my HT correctly and will have good quality sound..

Well I'll be up front and mention that I'm not a fan at all of Sony's recievers.

But 90% of the sound is going to be how well you set up the reciever.

Getting all the speakers positioned correctly and levels balanced -

proper integration into the subwoofer - that sort of thing. And the

only other thing to look out for is that the reciever properly decodes

dolby digital and dts (which aren't the same thing as dolby pro logic

and dts neo).

Because so little of the sound is actually determined by the reciever

itself I always recommend that a person purchase a reciever based on

the feature set. There is always something that is better sounding out

there, so you gotta put some sort of limit on what you do.

In your case, I don't think the $500-$1000 for a new reciever is going

to be worth the upgrade compared to having put that money towards a

better sub or acoustical treatment (if that's even an option).

There is absolutely no reason why your setup shouldn't sound great.

Please help. I have the Reference 35 series (rf-35, rc-35,rb-35, rs-35, and the 10w woofer) and am running it with a Sony STR-DA5000ES receiver.

Do you think that my receiver is good enough to maximize my speaker capabilities? If not, what would you recommend...

Oh my God, would I love to own that bad boy............In my opinion that is a fine Sony............ES is a good grade to own, Your right, It's not good enough to run your system, sell it, get rid of it, I wouldn't own a Sony..........How much do you want for it?????

Thanks for ALL your advices and comments. But one question, what are "acoustical treatments " ???

Sometimes bare rooms cause problems with sound bouncing all over, rugs on bare floors can help, curtains in front of bare windows, easy stuff like that, speaker position, height of speakers, many things can effect the sound that you hear.

Now, all kidding aside, that is a fine piece of Sony equipment, that is TOP consumer quality, you will never go wrong buying ES equipment from Sony, 180 watts per channel is big time power, and should make your speakers perk right up, I wish I had spent the extra dollars and bought an ES model, actually, I thought I did, but when I got it, it wasn't ES, my fault. I have never purchased Sony equipment and been sorry about it, I've had good luck with it. Good luck, you'll have your system singing to you in no time...............it never stops..................think Khorns to go with that ES..........

So here's a change in subject. What do you guys think honestly I can get for a set of RF-25's and a RC-25??

Also, would you trade the RF-35 for the RF-7's? And if I was to use RF-7's with the rest of my 35's (RC-35, RS-35 and RB-35), would it ruin the so called imaging or accurate surround sound?

Timbre matching is very important in the home theatre so I wouldn't recommend different mains unless you plan on changing everything out. And in my opinion the RF-35's sound better than the RF-7's, but that's not a very popular opinion on the forum.

As far as "acoustical treatment" - it is the process of controlling how the sound behaves after it comes out of your speakers. Here's a rather indepth overview if you want to read up on it:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

I'd say if you did more than 50% 2 ch listening, the RF7's would improve that dramatically. You would also want to use the RC7 though for HT use.

I'd keep with the 35 lineup and use the extra buckies for bigger sub. You can always use more sub.

M

You ask so here's my opinion.I've tried to think of every way to not offend so here goes.Sony =bye bye and 35's(while fine) can't compare to the power and glory of 7's,neither can my 83s.The 7's will work fine with about any ref speakers,I own a pile.Only my opinion.

Can't blame me for trying..............................That's the Sony receiver I should have bought in the first place, bet the DTS mode sounds great...................180 per channel..........damn..........Sure you don't want to sell that stinky old Sony.......................Good Luck!!...........