Khorn imaging, soundstage and room sweet spot

Rudy81

I am really glad to have read this post. I have had much trouble my K horns to image properly. I finally toed them out to face my listening position and noticed that it did image better and actually welcomed a little reduction in the bass department. I am using a sunfire sub crossed over at 60hz and so far the results have been pretty amazing.

Yes Rudy, we are in agreement. I did not realize your seating situation and that it was a HT room as well. Your wall treatment takes care of the near reflections issue, so by all means toe them out, using false wall if need be.

I am just fortunate in my room placement. That being said, it's an infrequently used room of the home and there is no possible way I could incorporate my Khorns into my HT room currently.

M

I finally finished my absorber panels as well as some curtains for the front of the HT. I just need to do some re-calibrating. The panels were a pain, but well worth the time.

This is the left side of the listening/HT room.

post-10337-13819304838918_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

I was surprised by the magnitude of the change.

Me, too when I aimed my K-402s directly at my listening position.

I am beginning to understand why most suggest placing the Khorns along the long wall. This set up, in effect, forces the sweet spot seating position to move forward and into the point where the tweeters and mid horns are "pointing" at you. I guess I had missed this point in all the suggestions I have read on the forum in the past. Does this make sense, or have I missed something?

Yes: time alignment issues. If you time align the Khorns, they will be able to be listened to at a very much reduced listening distance without having "speaker integration issues". But using the long wall places your Khorns at a farther distance out of the near field for the upper bass, which helps in hearing upper bass a bit more.

(Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I just discovered it today.) See http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/154887/1631048.aspx and http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/163530/1743663.aspx#1743663

Chris

(Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I just discovered it today.)

That's okay... this was back when Rudy said he would never ever give up his khorns. [;)]

Gotta love the Oris horns on the DBBs, though.

Bruce

(Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I just discovered it today.)

That's okay... this was back when Rudy said he would never ever give up his khorns. Wink

Gotta love the Oris horns on the DBBs, though.

Bruce

Did I ever say that? I probably did....but then you guys got me thinking about different crossovers, horns, drivers, active processing, Jubilees, K402, etc. etc.

Since 2006 I have tried many, many combinations. Frankly, I was just never totally satisfied with the Khorn.

I have listened to many setups, and found that I needed to go my own way. The only top end that had ever made my jaw drop was a set of Oris 150 horns I heard at a fellows house here in Dallas. I now have a pair and couldn't be happier....for now.

I have continuously searched for the best within my budget and am slowly getting there. At least I know I have heard most setups and am fine tuning what I like vs. what I don't like. Has nothing to do with the individual setups, just has to do with what I like to hear.

You never know...I might just go back to the very early beginning and get a pair of vintage Bose 901s.

However, I still toe in my horns to point just outside the sweet spot. I get great imaging and a superb soundstage. I am running the Oris 150s with a L-R 48dB XO from 200Hz to 20kHz. The DBBs only go from 80Hz to 200Hz and the modified RSW15s pick up the range below 80. So far, it's the best I can do.

Oops! I did say that! Sorry....

Hey, I thought I'd never get rid of my Parasound HALO amps and look at me now. All pro amps, no 'high end' amps in the lot! The only passive crossovers are in my Klipsch cinema speakers. Everything else is active. Lot's of DIY stuff too. Who knew?

I attribute all this to 'Audio Nervosa'!

The room doesn't even look the same either. Different room tuning, projector, amps, music server etc. I'm always chasing technology.

Rudy,

I think it's all good! I would love to have some Oris horns. Wish I was close enough to come have a listen. I have info on making large horns out of paper mâché. It would be time consuming and messy, but at least a first step (and less costly than the Oris').

I didn't mean for you to read the whole thread again to see if you really said that about the Khorns. [;)]

Bruce