La Scala

Indy,

I was using a 75wpc SS amp on my LS. They sounded wonderful... and now

I am using a 3.5 wpc 2A3 SET. They sound wonderful.

What I am finding is that I don't listen as loudly now. If I get over 80db, it is too loud for me. At the lower levels, my 2A3 amps have plenty of bass, plenty of dynamics. I never would have thought that before. It doesn't sound the same as the higher powered SS, but it sounds good to me, even great. I am drwn into the music more and more.

If I were watching a lot of movies, I would probably hook the SS amp back up. I love them both.

Bruce

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An open B is 31Hz...no way in the world the lascala is going to pass that note. The note may still be heard due to the upper harmonics (like 61Hz and above) and the cool ability of our ears to fill in missing information.

If you take a quick look at the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness charts you'll notice that our ears don't hear low notes very well at lower listening levels. We grow up with this kind of behavior our whole life and therefore become accustomed to filling in low frequency information when sounds are quiet. But once sounds start to get loud, we naturally want to compensate less.

For those of you guys with subs and lascalas, try turning your subs off at low listening levels...I bet you would be hard pressed to tell a difference. Now do the same thing at rocking out volumes - holy crap it'll knock you over [;)]

Btw, the new Lascala II's have addressed the cabinet resonation issue by moving to thicker side panels. Triangle braces inside the bass horn are also a feasible alternative. Just make sure you take into account that the center doghouse is not always perfectly centered. You will need to measure and cut each triangle brace independantly of each other.

An open B is 31Hz...no way in the world the lascala is going to pass that note. The note may still be heard due to the upper harmonics (like 61Hz and above) and the cool ability of our ears to fill in missing information.

You can say that all you want. I can very easily hear the low B on Victor Wooten's bass. Does it shake the house? No, but I can hear it, as well as the other two members of my household. It isn't an upper harmonic either.

Bruce

Bruce:

I'm glad you're enjoying your new amps. I understand the reference to higher power with movies, which I agree can be helpful (found that with the Teacs), and I was also surprised with how well 300Bs work as the primary L and R amplifiers.

Much of the music we listen to sounds completely wrong if played at very high SPLs, although the amps mentioned above are capable of very loud and clean volume levels. If we want to shake the house with sound effects, the SVS subwoofer seems to enjoy that responsibility. It also provides a satisfying and solid foundation for music.

I have known band teachers who have mentioned that one of the things they like about Klipsch speakers (specifically La Scalas), is NOT how loud they can get, but rather how musical and unforced they sound at low to moderate levels.

Have fun!

Erik

"how musical and unforced they sound at low to moderate levels."

Exceptionally good point Erik!

I have a feeling that folks didn't play the LS loud when they first were introduced. And at those lower levels, you don't have the problem of the distortion in the one inch throat.

Hello,

C is formidable you have really good ideas.

From my dimension I will double the with dimensions ones of Scala and then I will see well how it will sound.

In any ways with all the respect of Mr Paul there is an obvious lack of rigidity of the with dimensions one.

I worked on the base for a good result.

I will send photographs to you.

For information the scala are connected to an amplifier Dumortier (Power to amplify made in Belgium) 2x35w rms which sounds like a valve amplifier, before I listened with Luxman 5L15 which is good as but moin good as Dumortier.

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...

I just find out yesterday my speakers are call: La Scala "Dog House"I always notice that the bass is not as deep so now I want a pair of subs they have to be 23 3/4 inchs wide and 24 1/2 inchs deep so I can put This babys on top of them. Any one knows if Klipsch make them?

I just find out yesterday my speakers are call: La Scala "Dog House"I always notice that the bass is not as deep so now I want a pair of subs they have to be 23 3/4 inchs wide and 24 1/2 inchs deep so I can put This babys on top of them. Any one knows if Klipsch make them?

Nothing that size in the Klipsch lineup. You could add a box under the LS that is ported and opens into the "doghouse", to give more low end response. Would need to be about 10 inches high.

Bruce

I agree about the real presence of LaScala bass at moderate levels (I like them running just below 90dB peaks in the chair), which is about 50mW (.05 Watts!?) which leaves a lot of headroom with 3.5W SETs.

This is not harmonically synthesized in the ear bass. What it is, is the sound of BASS INSTRUMENTS, not just generic 'bass'. When I see posts that state LS don't have bass, this indicates to me someone who does not have the correct sense of what bass response means. Lots of amps can put out a lot of 'bass', but careful listening may lead one to wonder what this really is - is it the sound made by real bass instruments, or is it just big loud low slammy boomey sound?

Sometimes I think this is the difference between the horn loaded vs direct radiator sound. I have heard low bass notes on my LS that have sent me running to the piano to see what it was - these notes are low and real and authentic.

Is not the FM curve nature's way of keeping things in proper perspective? Imagine listening to a recording of a forest - birds, breeze, babbling brook - someone says, "But where is the bass?". Then a thunderstorm (thunder claps put most of their energy centered at 700Hz - hard to beleive from the way it sounds) - where is the bass?

There are many natural unsynthesized instruments with fundamental

frequencies well below the cutoff of the lascala. I was going to post a

table I found the other day, but I can't for the life of me find it

again. If no sonic information exhisted down lower, then a system

capable of going lower isn't going to sound any different (assuming flat frequency response). Take for instance khorn versus lascala...

But let's be realistic and acknowledge the fact of naturally occuring

subharmonics and the fact that there is a lot of great music out there

taking advantage of synthesized sounds. In light of reality it is pure

ignorance to claim the "correct sense of bass response" resides only

with those that love the lascala. Heck, by that logic guys like PWK and Roy don't know

what bass is either.

For what it's worth, the 'clack' of thunder might reside in the 700Hz region, but the rumbling

is most certainly not that high in frequency. Probably more in the

80-120Hz region. And just because the majority of the sound energy

resides in a certain frequency range does not mean the rest of the

frequency spectrum is unimportant.

And anyone that has any decent experience with systems of clean low

frequency extension realize that the biggest improvement is the cleaned

up midrange. It is most certainly NOT about boomy overexagerated crappy

bass. But don't take my word for it, I would be more than willing to

demonstrate the differences between piano recordings with all sorts of

high-pass filters and the actual live piano.

Michael if thoses KP480 fit exacly under the SLs them those are the one I see one day at a party here in Rogers Arkansas. I know the guy but he move away and I never got a chance to ask. I remember the sound was very good.

Im going to see if they still make them. And what about thoses TXHs, are the fit under the LSs?