Take a look at this

TheEAR

Well, to be completely honest, I have never been to the sub section of the Klipsch Forum and I doubt I ever would, except I just popped in there now to see who "TV" was and what you were referring to.

Actually, I have never been a fan of subs particularly; I always think that do more to corrupt the sound than help. And while bass is nice to have, it so easy to foul up and slow down the presentation. Especially with the speed and open nature of a good horn. The sub just isnt fast enough...even the good ones usually end up making me groan. That being said, I think it is possible to integtrate a sub fairly well...just not quite good enough.

As for TV's amp statement, something I never found while wandering around the Sub Forum, I would think you know how I feel on that one. If TV was discussing amps in subs, I tend to feel that, by and large, it is not as important to have top notch solid state driving the beast. Many amps of good stature would do. On the other hand, if TV was talking about SS amps as full range amplification devices, I really dont agree. I think even amps of good quality do indeed sound different with different presentations, characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses.

Where is the quote you are referring to?

kh

f>s>

TBrennan,

Yes I could build the speakers myself,they would be of very gigh quality(construction and meterials)but one thing I want I could NOT match...the finish.

To me the finish of a speaker is a must,even a good sounding speaker that looks bad will not even enter my room.

Its not the shape,style or design.Its must be finished very well.This is why I never purchased SVS or HSU subs,they perform so damn well but are sSonotubes painted black and covered with a simple cloth(or grill).

When SVS releases his Super Ultras in quality finish I will NO DOUBT get a pair.

This is why I purchased the whole Klipsch Reference line,the sound and finish are of very high quality. Smile.gif

So while I can duplicate some great speakers,its more trouble then anything else.Can be very time consuming,and time is money.

I prefer to buy them,all made,all tested and ready to bring me pure music.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The ear: I have been looking at the Titan (Simaudio's multichannel power amp) to match with K-horn mains in a new HT setup, and have been actively discouraged from matching a high powered amp with highly efficient speakers. Please provide me with your comments.

Zinman,

I know you specifically asked Ears for comments, but I thought my experiences might be helpful...

I have La Scalas, equal in sensitivity to the KHorns, just have less bass. I've tried many, many amps, both integrated and separate pre/power, both tube and solid state, both high power (Krell KAV300i) and low power (less than 10 watts/channel). My experience has been that it is impossible to predict how any specific amp is going to sound with your KHorns.

The KHorns are drawing very, very little power at most listening levels, usually well below a watt. Many amps sound very different when pushing a fair portion of their rated power into a load than they do when cruising along at less than a watt driving KHorns. While it seems to be true that, in general, low powered amps sound better with sensitive speakers, I think this is because they're simply operating closer to their design specs, and they are designed and tested at power levels close to those you'd use with a KHorn. Someone designing a high power amp might not spend as much time concerning themselves with how that amp is going to sound when pushing, say, 1/4 watt into a load. On the other hand, some companies (Krell and Boulder leap to mind) build fearsomely powerful amps, but DO take the time and effort to ensure that their amps sound just as good a microwatt levels, or better, than they do at high powere levels. Some other amps, and I'll toss in both the old Adcom GFA-555 original series and the Acurus DIA-100 mk II, as I owned both of those, could sound very, very good when driving something like a B&W 801f, but sounded AWFUL when driving my La Scalas.

Before you buy ANY amp, try to arrange for the change to listen to it in YOUR room with YOUR equipement driving your KHorns.

Ray

And now, for Ears....

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

First of all I would like to thank Ray Garrison,my producers,Bob Carver and the whole crew..Without all of you I would not...

cwm27.gif

Lets get serious for a minute

Ray said plenty as it is,now let me add that Celeste amplifiers sound very good with speakers like the large Klipsches.The RF-7's are 102dB 1W/1M and combined with a Celeste 4250SE(250W RMS per channel into 8 Ohms)sounds damn good.The synergy is all there.

Sure you will NEVER use all the power your amp is capable of delivering even into 8 Ohms.Buy hey why not get some extra room,and later you may discover speakers you like that need much more watts to match the volume level.

The Titan is one heck of an amp,not many can match its quality(both sound and built)and fewer give you more for your money(if any).

Keep in mind you have to take the amp home and listen with YOUR speakers and in YOUR room.Its YOUR money and YOUR decision after all. Uh I think I heard this in a comercial. Wink.gif

On a sideline as Ray said,Dan Dagostino from Krell(well driving force of Krell)uses headphones to test his amps(detail and other microinformations),as all know(should know,unless they live under a rock in a cavern)Krell amps are known to drive almost any realistic load.This is why all the arc welder jokes.

At least they are MUSICAL arc welders. Smile.gif

IMHO the following are the best SS amps money can buy

Krell(oh not the integrated,the POWER AMPS are world class)

Mark Levinson(again not the integrated but POWER AMPS)

Boulder(the cream of the crop,best of the best)

AYRE(little known company making choke regulated wonders,MUSICAL)

Musical Fidelity(Nu Vista series,both amp and preamp)

NAIM(almost all their amps are a cut above)

SimAudio(Celeste and MOON series,world class)

Bryston(power,resolution and unmatched durability)

Pilnus(ranks up there with Boulder)

McIntosh(the large monoblocks are so smooth,for SS amps

that is)

PassLabs(also known as PassAleph,Nelson Pass knows how to design world class SS amps)

YBA(the Passion line is sublime,musicality to the max)

Goldmund(a more powerful Spectral,high tech perfection with guts to grive any load)

Spectral(specs to make most turn green with envy,speed speed and more speed)

Classe(the large POWER AMPS are world class,I dont like their integrateds)

JeffRowland(masterful construction and sound to match)

BOW(some of THE best integrated amp on the planet)

TACT(digital amp,NO COLORATION,ALMOST ZERO DISTORTION,transparent to the extreme)

Theta(good multichannel amps)

BAT(the VK8200 is in my view THE multichannel amp)

Accuphase(great power amps from Japan)

That is about it...I am sure I forgot some others(cant listen to them all you know).And BTW the list was SS amps only.

In this list only a few have realistic pricetags for the common audiophile and SimAudio is one of them.The rest goes from expensive($4000)to EXTREME(well over 100 grand for a pair of amps!)

All are well designed but yet dont sound the same.There are simply too many variables and each amp has its own sound.

Ok have to stop now...

Hope it helps

TheEAR(s) Now theears