Which was built first in the HK lineup 930 or 430?

In the last couple of weeks I've been under the hood of both a 430 and a 930 replacing the tuner lamps and stereo indicator and such as that. The difference in the serviceability of these two receivers causes me to wonder if the 930 was introduced first in the lineup.

The 930 innards are designed in such a way as to make the lamp replacement process easier and it also has the older type screw terminals to attach speaker leads. The 430 rear apron has push on connector types for speaker leades.

I know the 930 is top of this line and the 430 is entry level. Would there be that much difference in the models built at the same time? Or was the 930 older and built sturdier just because it was an older design.

In terms of styling, IMO the 430 has the more elegant, refined looking sliderule tuner. It looks like a later design.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Crud, I had a really witty reply but this damn thing is taking soooo long to post.

The HK product manuals on their web site give the story..

930 was produced first in 73, ended in 75

430 and 730 produced in 76-77.

So you are right-o Daddy, Tell him what he's won Johny!

Michael

I have two 430s and have owned a 730 and 930. Playing Heresies, Cornwalls, La Scalas and single driver rear horns, I am unable to detect any difference between the 430s and the 730 (which is now in service powering La Scalas I refurbished for the high school band room).

I'm not saying there are no differences, just that any subtle differences might have been lost on these old ears.

I cannot comment regarding the performance of the 930, as it was an eBay loser. It came with only one jumper between the pre-amp and amp sections. Even after moving the jumper to the other channel, it played poorly from a only a single channel. I did like the binding post speaker terminals on the 930, as opposed to the cheap push connectors on the 430 and 730. Fortunately, I was able to get a refund from the eBay seller, i.e., I was out only $35 to ship it back.

My 430 makes a bzzzeeeebbuuuup sound upon first firing her up. Therefore I follow the proceedure to turn the speakers off until she's warmed up for a minute. Anyone else have this?

The 730 works just fine, but now I'm in the habit of always turning the volume down and speakers off before shutting down....

M