Yin and Yang livingroom, new to horns.

esl_57

>Type A. Same as the schematic above -- but only a single 2uF capacitor for the tweeter. The Type AA is better suited for higher volumes, and at the volume levels I think you typically listen at -- the Type A is much more engaging.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Going 12 db / octave on the tweeter, hmmm... the fallout from that would be greater overlap with the mid horn (that as you pointed out, does not have a low pass filter. It no doubt gets a little raggedy at the top) but the 180 deg. phase shift of the 2nd order filter has its conveniences. I see how that simple mod can open a whole can of worms. Now to try and make the mid / tweeter sum flat your obliged to add a proper band pass to the mid and because you went to all the trouble of doing that you might as well investigate the low pass component to the woofer! Im not sure I want to go in that direction not before doing the cabinet restoration anywayJ.

>I think they call them "Fastcaps" because of how fast people grab their soldering irons to get them out after they put them in.:) The nice thing about the low part count is that one can go with some better caps and the project still be considered affordable. However, the Solens are much better than what you have in there now -- those caps are shot.

(Laugh) its true, the Fast Caps are a little dark sounding but the speaker is a bit too forward for my tastes. They are also not very conservative in their voltage ratings, when they claim 250-volt DC max, they arent kidding.

This is all great information folks, please continue to express your thoughts, feelings and experiences.

Bill

Bill,

Dean was taking you back to the earlier version of the same filter, the type A. The steeper slope and zener diodes were added as tweeter protection. Many people prefer the sound of the type A. When I rebuild the type AA, I always make it convertible to type A with just a jumper change.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819305083038_thumb.jpg

" but the speaker is a bit too forward for my tastes. "

Consider the ALK Universal Type A or maybe Dean's Jr. version of it. They will allow you to dial back the midrange as it is run too hot with the AA which gives the forward sound. The bandpass on the midrange also smooths out the nasty peak some of the midrange squawkers have.

Shawn

"... but the speaker is a bit too forward for my tastes..."

That is the nature of horns. With any of the stock networks, the sound will become more forward after you change the caps -- unavoidable for the most part, even if you use something like lossy paper in oils. The resistive element of your current capacitors has gone up as the dielectric has been breaking down due to age -- so anything you replace them with is going to increase the output of the drivers a bit. However, the sound will be smoother and more refined regardless of what cap you choose. The lively, up-front presentation is what most of us embrace, and I suppose it's an aquired taste. The sound is about as far removed from the electrostatic sound as you can get. I spent a decade or so with ribbons, so I'm familiar with the culture shock you're experiencing.

"I see how that simple mod can open a whole can of worms. Now to try and make the mid / tweeter sum flat your obliged to add a proper band pass to the mid and because you went to all the trouble of doing that you might as well investigate the low pass component to the woofer!"

Good insight. It's what many end up doing, and also covers much of what is offered in the aftermarket designs that are available. Sounds like you know your way around a network, passive parts, and a soldering iron -- I encourage you to experiment. The Klipschorn responds very favorably to other modifications as well. For example, I no longer use the stock horns and drivers. Personally, I prefer the simple filters, but realize they are not for everyone.

I think we would all agree that your present goal is to get the speakers back close to how they originally sounded so you can have a good baseline. No matter what you do, the Klipschorns won't produce the level of refinement as the QUADs -- but over time, you will appreciate the fact that they sound less like speakers and more like live music.

>I think we would all agree that your present goal is to get the speakers back close to how they originally sounded so you can have a good baseline.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

A chassis off (so to speak) restoration is what I have in mind Dean, Structural, electrical and cosmetic but I have too many things on the go right now to start into it. I want to finish the home theatre and the driveway before taking on a new and project.

Thanks for filling in with the visual Bob.

Bill

post-23157-13819305095358_thumb.jpg