Rear Surrounds question (adding more)

PhilMays

I notice in theaters that they have a (line array?) of side speakers down the wall. I assume that is because the depth of the commercial theater.

Currently I have RF3II's as my surrounds in a 5.1 set-up. We bought a new house (to us) and I am still tweaking my setup. In the walls and one column next to the listening position in the ceiling is a set of speaker wires that terminate from the wall behind the system.

My front speakers are about 14 feet from the listening position, so I placed the rear surrounds 14 feet behind the listening position.

I am in the process of purchasing vintage Yamaha M-80 amps that can push three sets of speaks at 260 watts per channel (only one L/R input). I currently have one of these for the mains and am running the bi-wire effect for the high and low's in the A/B speaker output.

My question is, with the next M-80, how can I say place RS-3's (or the like) at that middle position on say the B speaker output and control the volume and use the A speaker out put for the RF-3's? I feel this will fill the middle void somewhat.

Let me add this also...I am eventially going to replace the RF-3's with a p[air of RF-7's to match my mains as I LOVE DVD-A and SACD.

Thanks

Phil

What are you using for a pre-amp/processor? What are the

connections it has?

The rears are too far back for a 5.1 setup, they need to be even with or just

behind the listening position, not at the back of the room. They are to provide

width and rear sound and that is difficult to get with them at the back of the

room, the imaging will be off. In a 7.1 setup, the surrounds are still in the same place, you just add 2

more speakers to the back of the room, fairly close to each other to fill in

the rear center.

Many people use 2 ch amps to power their speakers and they get the input for

the amps from the line out of the processor. You use the 2 ch amp to power the

main speakers and the processor to power the center, surrounds and rear if the

processor has a built in amp. You can also use the processor to drive the

center speaker and separate 2 ch amps to power the mains and surrounds. You can

also use a mono amp to power the center etc. If you have only a

preamp/processor, you need an amp for each speaker. All of the speaker levels

will be controlled by the processor.

More info on your equipment is needed to help with your

specific question.

I am using a Yamaha RX Z1 as a pre/pro. Yamaha M-80 at 260 wpc for the mains and a AMC 150 wpc amp for center and surrounds.

As stated before, I am going to purchase more M-80 amps when I get the chance (find them). The M-80 has a left/right input and can run three sets of speakers at 260 wpc. Of course I am only going to run one set of speakers per amp.

You are right though. The system is completely off balance with that type of distance and I was wondering if I could (how much sense it makes) add side surrounds and power them with the second output on the next M-80 I get. I was wondering how to turn down the output for that. IE some sort of inline volume control as this will in essance be an in-line configuration.

The one thing I like about the seperation of the speakers is in SACD & DVDA...really sounds sweet.

Perhaps I am asking too much from my system.

Thanks for your input. Gotta figure this thing out!

Phil

partsexpress.com

This will allow you to reduce the output to a set of
speakers (thus making the volume correct) without altering the settings at the
amp but in a surround system the timing of the side speakers is important and the
timing between the second side speakers and the rear side speakers will be different
due to the distances involved, and I think you will wind up with an echo effect.

If the amp will drive 3 sets of speakers, why dont you use
the attenuator to adjust the volume of the near side speakers to the proper
level and switch between them and the rear side speakers at the amp, for movies
or SACD? However the timing will either be right for one location and wrong for
the other OR you will have to compromise
and have it slightly off for both.