Okay, this is it: Onkyo 595, or Denon 1802?

belial

I've narrowed my receiver choice down to two, after regretfully ruling out the Outlaw because it doesn't have Prologic II.

Two questions:

ONE: I can get either receiver from a friendly local dealer who I know for $450, including tax. Does that sound like a good price? I could save a little bit more on the net, but since I know this guy and don't have to worry about shipping, I think this might be my best bet.

TWO: WHICH ONE? The Onkyo or the Denon? Right now I'm leaning toward the Onkyo, but it is still a toss up.

Any input at all would be most appreciated!

This message has been edited by belial on 11-12-2001 at 08:49 PM

I would also like some comments ; in my case, i lean toward the Denon (i face the same choice...) The Denon just has everything i need and more. So why would i buy the Onkyo? I did not hear any of them so i make dumb comparisons like :

Denon : 24 lbs, 4.5 Amp (consumption), 670$(CAD)

Onkyo : 25.4 lbs, ???Amp, 770$(CAD)

Some say that the power output stage of the Onkyo is underdimentionned. I don't know...

------------------

Engage...

here are pics of the back in high detail for ppl. the denon has more inputs an doutputs, has an optical output if that means anything to you.

x580txds595-b.jpeg

x033AVR1802-B_MT.jpeg

now here is a direct comparision of the two sets. looks like teh Denon wins.

Image1.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

Belial- If you haven't already purchased, you might check out the Wal-Mart.com web site. They were selling the Denon's last years model, 1801 for 329.00, and the 2802 for 499.00. Good Luck

Personally I like the Onkyo's for there easy to setup and use.

------------------

Bill

This message has been edited by wm12324 on 11-13-2001 at 03:03 PM

guys, for a good indicator of power (besides demoing) check the wattage at lower impedances like 6 &/or 4 ohms. that is if they provide them & use same/or similar methods. about the only good indicator i've found from most available specs.

iow, look at the ratio. here for 6 ohms the 1802 is 115W/85W & the onk is 100W/75W - 1.35 to 1.33. pretty close though it appears the denon has a slight bit more power.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 11-13-2001 at 09:11 PM

Hmmm... cwm34.gif

After reading about Denon's history from their own site and reading reviews that comment about Denon products being made in Japan and that they are high quality because of Japan's history of making quality products, etc., the "MADE IN KOREA" stamp on the rear of that Denon really gets my attention...

Hmmm...

Heh... Speaking of Malaysia brings to mind memories of debates over which Intel Celeron 300A cpus overclocked the best; those made in Malaysia or those made in Costa Rica... Seemed the Malaysian made cpus were more stable...

Then again, what does that really say... Possibly Intel put more money into the Malaysian fabrication plants. But, silicon is silicon... Maybe the Malaysian labor pool has more experienced workers than that of Costa Rica, or in this case, Korea?

All that is just ranting though... No real basis for comparison. cwm13.gif

What's with receiver companies today? It seems the big Japanese companies like Denon, Marantz and Onkyo are starting to manufacture outside Japan. Marantz's new SRx200 series was a flop, and I believe that's because they were made in China. Companies should manufacture in there own country to insure the customer is getting a quality product. I would rather get something of a quality build than something that's cheaply made, even if that means a higher price tag.

------------------

-Paul

My Computer Speaker Setup:

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-3802)

Front: Klipsch Quintet Satellites

Center: Klipsch Quintet Center

Surround: Klipsch Quintet Satellites

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be SVS 25-31PC or SVS 25-31CS)