Opinions on yamaha yst-sw800 subwoofer.

p3klipsch

Hi to everybody!

this is my first post and i am new to HT hobby.

i would just like to get your opinions on yst-sw800 subwoofer from yamaha. How does it compare to other brands like the velodyne spl1200 in terms of output?

room size is about 1700 cuft. will this be enough if i listen to about -7db from reference volume?

i tried to search for reviews but there is not enough objective review for this model. also on the specs sheet shows 18~150hz -10db. i cannot understand these figures.

thanks,

The Yamaha 800 is a good inexpensive sub,much better then the worthless subs Yamaha produced before.This is the only worthy sub(for a small to mid-sized room).

If you compare the Yamaha to a velodyne SPL1200 the Yamaha gets knocked out.The Velo SPL series in superior,the output down low will overtake the Yamaha with ease.Look at the price,the Velodyne SPL1200 is much more expensive you should compare it to a Sunfire Signature(bests the Velodyne in output).

If you want the maximum bang for the dollar then SVS Cylinder series and HSU TN1220 would be very recomended.As well as the Paradigm 2200.If you live in Canada the Paradigm is the BEST buy.

So,if you want BIG output and dont want to pay too much SVS,HSU and Paradigm will please.No doubt

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hi
I can tell you that the YST800 is the superior
sub from thoes you mentioned
I have a chance to directly compair the Yamaha to the
Velodyne and Energy and it ain't even close the Yamaha
with its 1000 watt Servo amp just plain sounds better
Sure the Velodyne may be able to eek out a few more SPL but it sounds Boxy/Tubby The YST800 isn"t
your GrandMa's subwoofer.In the game of subs sheer
spl isn't the end all

------------------
I am HI-FI :)

Audioreview.com says great stuff about that sub. Im thinking of getting it soon. 1000W? (actully 800RMS) thats pretty good. Even though I know WATTS does not allways have anything to do with it..And I know from experiece. Crank it in the store, if they dont let you, dont buy it. (they WILL give in for Commission)

------------------

Matthew

This message has been edited by matthew2 on 11-16-2001 at 07:24 PM