Speaker matching

SPW

I have a rc3, rs3, and rb3 as the basis of a 7.1 surround. I am shopping for rf3's or rf5's as the main front speakers. How important is it to match the speakers? Should I stick with an rf3 for any practical reason? Is there really a timbre "thing" here to consider?

Are the rf3's a fair stand alone speaker for stereo only music? I like the sound of the rb3's with the exception of a shallow lower end, I assume the rf3's make up for this.

What would a fair used price for rf3's range?

Many thanks.

The RF-3's have plenty of bottom end, I used a pair in a rc-3,rs-3,rf-3, ksw12 & ksw15 setup for about four years.

Strong point of the system was the RF-3's. They have plenty of bottom end, when I would toggle the sub on and off, I found the sub didn't really add for music, as the rf-3's held their own. The only time I'd use a sub for music was when I was listening to something REALLY bass heavy.

Weak point of the system was the RC-3, and you wont really know just how weak it is until you hear an RC-7. Major improvement.

I'm all about timber matching, and would do it at all costs! I also recommend that you at least try a pair of towers as surrounds instead of your rs-3's. If your listening preferences are like mine you just may be pleasantly surprised.

Welcome to the forum SPW.

I agree with HTaddict for the most part, however I am not opposed to mixing and matching speakers in the Klipsch line. I would keep the RF-3's to use as side surrounds and try to find a pair of Rf-5's (RF-7's [:^)]) or another pair of Rf-3's to use as mains. I also would be on the lookout for the RC-7 center. Good luck. [:)]