Difference in class of amp?

xdetroitx

let me try again. The G amp can apply gas pedal as needed based on the sound level, where as other amps aways run with the pedal to the floor. The end result is less heat, lower distortion, etc

O,k now thats the sort of explanation i can easily understand. THANX.

just noticed this is my 100th post,do i get some sort of recognition.[:D]

speakerfritz,

That was a great synopsis, and one of the best layman description of class B and A/B Most everyone calls B by A/B today because of lingering misconceptions from the early days, nobody want to "market" anything as class B amplifier, but that's what it is. The output trasistors are biased into slight conduction to avoid the "turn on delay" that creates crossover distortion, but that current does not go to the speaker load, the trasistors are biased precisely such that current is delivered to the load for exactly 180 degrees of the output cycle. More or less than 180 degrees causes distortion. Less than 180 degrees is "technically" a class C amplifier, and you get crossover distortion. More than 180 degrees and you get what you called "gumming", or "Gm doubling distortion", but this is more benign since it is mostly second harmonic.

There are some true class A/B amplifier that will run as class A for the first few watts (sometimes even up to 25W) then switch into class B operation (only one transistor conducting to the load).

Class G come in two varieties, series and shunt (output transistors in parallel).

Class H is where the voltage rail follows the the output signal and the voltage across the output transistors remains more of less constant. To get any increase in efficiency though, a switching power supply amounting to a buck regulator is used. This is the technology behind the old Carver amps ("magnetic field" and "tracking downconverter" power supplies) amps and BASH.