Need help with a broken crossover

Clarence

Hi guys I am working on a refurb project on a Polk Passive subwoofer. I opened it up today to remove the drivers and start sanding, but when i carried it downstairs, I heard something large rolling around in the bottom. this thing is builts like a brick shithouse, but please see below.

post-21157-13819307523626_thumb.jpg

I'm not quite sure of the question.

From what I can read, that is a 27 uF capacitor. The "u" is supposed to be the Greek letter "mu" which looks a lot like it.

So you order a similar capacitor (check the voltage rating too) from Parts Express and solder it in.

It looks like it would be difficult to solder the lead back where it broke off.

Gil

looks like you need a new capacitor.

also look like one end goes to the resistor which now appears unconnected on the left side, and the other end of the cap connects to that small piece of wire which is hanging down about 2 inches above the resistor. Looks like a mirror image of the right side.

I would just rip the entire old crossover apart (nicely) and then rebuild it in a more tweak friendly fashion. The inductor can stay where it is, but that "PCB" on the back of the input terminal looks like too much of a pain to to fiddle with.

the 400vac can handle more peak watts than a 50vac. if you can find a 250 vac, even that would be a higher peak rating than what you currently have.

The 400V ratings are DC, not AC. 50 VAC is 140V peak-to-peak. A 100V DC rated cap will do just fine. Use three 10µF in parallel.

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=1564301.27913&pid=1771

Better yet, chuck the passive crossover and buy a $49.95 plate subwoofer amplifier.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&product%5Fid=50%2D6266A