Made my mind up and bought a Harman Kardon receiver!

wuzzzer

I sold the item that I was going to use to fund the purchase of a new amp/receiver. I found a few Harman Kardon HK3480 two channel receivers for sale on eBay. I picked one up that is only 2 months old in brand new condition for buy-it-now of $175.

I thought the specs looked really good:

Stereo Mode :

Continuous Average Power (FTC) Per Channel :

120 Watts per channel, 20Hz 20kHz @ <0.07% THD, both channels driven into 8 ohms

150 Watts per channel, 20Hz 20kHz @ <0.2% THD, both channels driven into 4 ohms

Input Sensitivity/Impedance Linear (High-Level) :

200mV/47k ohms

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF-A) :

95dB

Frequency Response at 1W (+0dB, 3dB) :

10Hz 110kHz

High Instantaneous Current Capability (HCC) :

±45 amps

Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM) :

Unmeasurable

Rise Time :

16µsec

Slew Rate :

40V/µsec

Posted Image

I'm not sure what the TIM, Rise Time or Slew rate refer to, but I think the high current design and 150 watts continuous at 4 ohms will be a nice complement to my RF-7s.

I still need to sell my Sony receiver and I think with the leftover money I'll buy some acoustic room treatments.

HK has made some really nice stuff over the years I'm sure you'll be happy with the reciever.

I owned a PA2200 for a number of years 100 watts/channel a really nice warm sounding power amp I gave it to a buddy he wanted more power bought a Crown DC300 needless to say he was disappointed with the Crown and it has gone to the closet! The HK is so nice I once could not tell it apart from a 3000$ Classe power amp that had twice the power!

SET12

I stand corrected it maybe a Citation 24

I found a few Harman Kardon HK3480 two channel receivers for sale on eBay.

I'd also be looking for an inexpensive (±400$) 2.1 channel receiver

to drive a spare pair of Khorns. I'd be

curious to how it performs as there are some pretty good deals on refurbished HK

through their own web store.

I'm looking for something which does have a built in xover

to drive my sub amp... and just basic video switching would be nice (ie: DVD, Satellite,

and VCR ... but TV has only one AV input).

I would have liked a simple 2 channel integrated... but similar to you, my

requirements push me into a different category.

ROb

Minimum impedance below 3 ohms? Tell me more please.

At at least two different points on the 20Hz to 20kHz spectrum the RF-7s dip down to 2.8ohms. As a result, they really shine with a high current, low impedence amplification system.

Rob, you might check out the RR2150 from Outlaw Audio...it's got some cool bass management built into it.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

(on page 15 of the manual, which can be found at that link).

As far as the RF-7s...doensn't the impedance dip down to 2.8 ohms? It gets mentioned quite often on the forum and I'm not sure what the original source of the information is. The conclusion being that a "4-ohm stable" amplifier is required (since most 4 ohm speakers have low dips like that).

Congrats...........Enjoy your new unit...........would be interested in a comparision of the two after you have had it for awhile............same watts per channel.......fair fight.......if you don't mind doing that..............have fun listening to those old albums that always sound new with new equipment................many listening hours ahead................Relax and Enjoy..........

Congrats...........Enjoy your new unit...........would be interested in a comparision of the two after you have had it for awhile............same watts per channel.......fair fight.......if you don't mind doing that..............have fun listening to those old albums that always sound new with new equipment................many listening hours ahead................Relax and Enjoy..........

Thanks! I'm very excited to get it. It has both pre-outs and a separate sub-out, so I thought that was great in terms of flexibility. I think I'll really like it, especially for the price I paid.