OT: Correct words to Pattycake?

toddvj

I don't even know why the hell I went into the thread (maybe because I was thinking of my new niece that was just delivered last week Friday? I guess a trip up to PA is in order).

Anyway, just for S&G's, I went and looked up "Patty-Cake" on Wikipedia. It lists it as:

Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man.

Bake me a cake as fast as you can.

Roll it and pat it and mark it with "B"

And put it in the oven for Baby and me.

Here is the article that I found. Although it is pretty much a stub (would be nice to find a bit of history to see where this comes from), but it contains some interesting illustrations by William Wallace Denslow as they appear in a 1901 Mother Goose book. Seems like it originally started out as "pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake".

That's a good one, fini! I hadn't heard it before. There seems to be a lot of rhymes that can actually be quite scary for a toddler, if you think about it! I can remember being VERY concered about the Old Woman who Swallowed a Fly....eventually she got to that horse, and SHE DIED, OF COURSE! How terrible!

Again, out of sheer boredom, I went and looked these up on Wikipedia.

An article on the "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" nursery rhyme. To bad that one is also still a stub, but seems not much is known about it's origins.

And the obvious poor little Rock a Bye Baby who fell from the tree tops to a certain peril.

And this is interesting, on the "Rock-a-Bye Baby" rhyme. I don't think I've ever heard those verses after the "down comes baby, cradle, and all" part. It actually ends quite nicely, with the very last verse saying the following:

From the high rooftops down to the sea

No ones' as dear as baby to me

Wee little fingers, eyes wide and bright

Now sound asleep until morning light