OT: Correct words to Pattycake?

toddvj

• Moderators

A bit different here,

...........r o l l it, p r i c k it, and mark it with a ( use 1st initial of childs name. In this case> "T"),

put it in the oven, for (Toddy) and me.

Us southerners are more personable.[H]

This is very close to the version that has been handed down to our three daughters and four grandchildren.

Patty cake, patty cake

Baker's man, bake me a cake as fast as you can

Roll it, pat it, mark it with a T and

put it in the oven for Todd and me.

I didn't realize there were so many versions of Patty Cake. Where is Amy when we need her?[;)]

• Moderators

This is very close to the version that has been handed down to our three daughters and four grandchildren.

Patty cake, patty cake

Baker's man, bake me a cake as fast as you can

Roll it, pat it, mark it with a T and

put it in the oven for Todd and me.

I didn't realize there were so many versions of Patty Cake. Where is Amy when we need her?[;)]

Interesting thread! Technical Support to the rescue...

This is the exact version I use...except "Roll it" is his favorite part, so it's been modified into "Roooooooolllllllll it, and roooooooooollllllll it......" [:)]

No, no...yuz got it all wrong!

This is my dad's version as he sang it to us kiddies when we sat on his lap (and he'd hold our hands and make the motions as he went along...and it's somethin' like this):

Patty cake, patty cake,

Baker's man;

Roll 'em up an' roll 'em up,

And shove 'em in the pan.

Ya stick 'em an' ya eat 'em,

And ya stick 'em an' ya eat 'em;

An' you throw it away!

All the while, he's motioning wildly into the air with our hands the act of rolling the ingredients, quickly shoving the pan into an oven, poking the cake with a fork and shoveling it into our mouths, and then quickly flinging the plate over our heads! We 'uns would crack up everytime and want our dad to repeat the saying several times over until it felt like he was going to pull our li'l arms out of their sockets! We loved it![:D]

• Moderators

No, no...yuz got it all wrong!

This is my dad's version as he sang it to us kiddies when we sat on his lap (and he'd hold our hands and make the motions as he went along...and it's somethin' like this):

Patty cake, patty cake,

Baker's man;

Roll 'em up an' roll 'em up,

And shove 'em in the pan.

Ya stick 'em an' ya eat 'em,

And ya stick 'em an' ya eat 'em;

An' you throw it away!

All the while, he's motioning wildly into the air with our hands the act of rolling the ingredients, quickly shoving the pan into an oven, poking the cake with a fork and shoveling it into our mouths, and then quickly flinging the plate over our heads! We 'uns would crack up everytime and want our dad to repeat the saying several times over until it felt like he was going to pull our li'l arms out of their sockets! We loved it![:D]

I forgot to mention the motion things, clapping the hands, rolling the hands, bouncing on your lap, and all the other exciting things little kids love.

Amy, I was counting on you to pick up the slack.[;)] Did you forget the motion thing too?

Thebes, with all your great story telling abilities, where is your input on this?[*-)]

I'm with Fini, if we typed this out with every possible name configuration, we could easily top 10,000 posts on this here thread.

But JT's just gave me a giggle- very descriptive there with all the arms flailing about. Yer old man must have been a hoot to grow up with!

M

• Moderators

Amy, I was counting on you to pick up the slack.[;)] Did you forget the motion thing too?

Well, I'm not as animated as JT's dad, apparently!! I do much milder hand motions without risk of losing limbs [:)] Steven especially likes the rooooooooolll it part as his arms go around and around... cracks him up every time.

Now, for real fun with kids, how about "Trot, Trot to Boston"?

Trot, trot to Boston

to buy some cake.

Trot, trot home again

there wasn't any baked.

Trot, trot to Boston

to buy some bread.

Trot, trot home again

The old Trot's DEAD!

My Grandmother and Mother used to bounce me on my knee singing this song. The trick is, when you get to the last line, you slow down a bit, then emphasize the word DEAD, at the same time straigtening your legs, letting the little one slide down. Oh, it's great fun! I thrilled my own kids with this one...

• Moderators

That's a good one, fini! I hadn't heard it before. There seems to be a lot of rhymes that can actually be quite scary for a toddler, if you think about it! I can remember being VERY concered about the Old Woman who Swallowed a Fly....eventually she got to that horse, and SHE DIED, OF COURSE! How terrible! And the obvious poor little Rock a Bye Baby who fell from the tree tops to a certain peril.

But JT's just gave me a giggle- very descriptive there with all the arms flailing about. Yer old man must have been a hoot to grow up with!

Thanks, Michael...he still has one helluva sense of humor. I'm surprised how my prim 'n' proper mom has put up with his shenanigans and pranks all these years.[:P]