What are the primary differences between the Klipsch Subs?

Raider

Given an up-to $1k budget, what would you get? Klipsch? Which model(s)? Some other alternative?

I find Klipsch's sub line to be rather confusing. The strategy seems to be to offer a sub at a number of price points. If there is some clear delineation between the models technically, it escapes me from reading the site. My priority is musicality first, output second. The other priority is solid output in the 20-40 z range, as the bass is very good in the Klipsch speaker line, enough so that the lowest octave is the primary concern.

Thanks for any input.

The line is somewhat confusing at a passing glance, but I think the issue is simply the release dates of the different lines and the continuation of older lines with the new.

At any rate, to be clear the only sub in the current line with solid output in the 20-40 Hz range is the KW-120. If your criteria is 25 or 30-40 Hz then several options become available in the Klipsch family...namely the RSW-15, RSW-12 and RT-12D. All have very good SQ and output, but the "lowest octave of primary concern" is not what they're designed for.

Unfortunately, unless you get a good deal somewhere I don't think any of these are <$1k. For such requirements I think your only options are probably SVS or DIY. SVS is a bit of a four letter word around here so don't go yelling it. You'll get a myriad of opinions but in general it'll get you the same or similar SQ, lower FR and a cheaper price.

I often post this link, because it is such an excellent article. It is one of the few articles that I know of that has multiple charts comparing the frequency response of several components. Although the names have changed, you can see how the output is different for each one and how it will fit into the frequency response of your loudspeakers. It also describes the sound subjectively and in terms of music versus movies.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html

BTW, I owned both a Klipsch KSW and the precursor to the RSW, the ill-fated LF10. Plus, I heard the SVS Ultras at a friends house several times. I ended up with a large ACI Titan. The KSW gives a lot of boomy bass for the money. The RSW is better for movies lots of upper bass. You hardly notice the SVS subs in comparison. They are very deep making accurate music reproduction more realistic.

CAS is accurate. RSW 12 and 15s have a good "musical" sound to my ears but never digged deep enough consistently to keep in a system that also showcases certain movies. Given your preferences, I think the KW 120 THX is your best bet, but it will be a struggle to find one below a grand w/o going preowned.

Colin, having owned both SVS cylinders and SVS large boxes, I think the large boxes are slightly more musical than their brethren. Your comment about those subs disappearing for music is why I think they make such a good compliment to large Heritage.

My favorite under a grand sub is the SVS PB12-NSD/2. And no, mine is not for sale anytime soon. If you can stand the size of the enclosure because they are not "small" by any means.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Carl.

P.S. Lucas (and his gang) did a great job remastering video and audio for Star Wars IV - VI. Tonight, watched the remastered IV, and certain ductwork and other items in the room told me that we hit 16 in several scenes. The soundtrack in that movie is so majestic with five large horns. Great stuff.

Carl.