Upgrading my Onkyo S770 speakers for KG's..... (looking for advice on setup)

CrazyBrian

Ok my TV is a Mitsu ws-55315

I recently purchased a pair of KG 4.2's locally and a Kg 2.2V from Richard here on the board (thanks again!). Richard sure can pack a speaker up!!

My reciever is 6.1 so now my dillemma comes to the rears. People with KG setups what are you using?

Also if anyone has the reciever that comes with the Onkyo s770 what crossover point are you using? It doesnt let you change crossover settings per speaker just overall setting.

One more question I promise lol. How far away should each kg 4.2 be from the sides of the TV?

The crossover setting I guess are only for the sub. With the subwoofer's handy crossover selector, you can set the sub's upper frequency at 60, 80, 100, 120, or 150 Hz.

So I want to match this to the kg's? Also what if my sub has a selector to select a crossover point also?

Do I want to set all speakers to "small" instead of "large" so that all bass goes to the subwoofer?

Man Im hurting my brain.

I believe if you are setting the crossover for the sub at the Processor, you want bypass on the sub (letting the receiver/processor do the crossover)...as for the kgs...am I reading this right??? You can't set the crossover points for your speakers, just the sub???...Yes, I would set those speakers all to small (it isn't really a size thing it is a performance thing)...if I am wrong and you can set the crossovers...might I suggest 80 (they go down to 36 and 95dB) for the kg mains and 100 (it goes down to 50 and 93dB) for the kv center...play with it a bit if you can, you may be able to use 60 for the mains but that might be cutting it close...the above settings I found best with my Heresy Mains and Academy Center after getting past the "this can't be right stage"

By the way...welcome and enjoy!

Bill

I use KG4's in the rear set to small..................Actually, here's what I do...........mind you, this is just my taste, I'm probably wrong, but I do it anyway..........Heresy's in front, set to Large...............center channel set to small.............Kg4's in rear set to small, and set at side position/ low................my center channel is my weak link, but I will live with it until I get a pair of Khorns........then everything changes, but that's down the road.............If I don't like the sound this way........I flip the switch back to everything Large............doesn't cost anything to play this way..........Confused yet????.......for Concert DVD's I shut-off my center channel..............that is a personal taste issue, that is my choice to make......I am in no way telling you to shut it off......I'm just stating what I do......lotta' help, huh?

As far as what else would work for rear surrounds, there are a lot in the KG "x.2" line that would work great, and which ones would depend on how big your room is. There are the KG 1.2, 2.2, 3.2, 4.2, and 5.2, all of which would be a perfect timbre match to your 4.2s. The good thing is that even the larger models typically sell on Ebay for less than $250/pr or so. For anything above the 2.2 size, you would be better off picking them up in person, to avoid potential damage and hefty shipping expense. If you have a smallish room, even the 1.2s can work well. I set up a friend with KG 2.2s across the front and 1.2 rears, a Velodyne 10" sub, and it will pound his 15x15 room, with either movies or music. In your case, 3.2s or another pair of 4.2s would give you a system capable of handling just about anything you want to play through it, and will do so very loud and very clean. You can get excellent surround imaging with only two rears (5.1); I don't think a huge number of people actually use 6.1, as only the biggest budget movies seem to be encoded in 6.1.

Coincidentally, I have exactly the same Mit RPTV. You need to have the speakers far enough away so that their magnets will not cause distortion in the TV. Just experiment with it; you may be able to place them directly beside the TV, or may have to move them away a bit. Once the minimum distance is established, you of course want to adjust position for the best stereo imaging.

Tell us more about your room size, other components, % music vs. % movies, sub possibilities, etc., and we can offer more advice, something there is no shortage of here.

Thanks for the help guys.. I messed around with it a lil bit and think I got it where I like it for now. I set the crossover to 80 and set all the speakers to small and that seems to pretty good for now.

My roomate should be moving this month so I will get my basement back. Then im moving everything down there. So that's when I will start getting serious and measure my basement to get some advice on how I should set it up!! Right now I think im about 11 feet from my TV.

My sub is just a generic 12" powered sub that was given to me but it sounds better than the Onkyo HTIB sub at least.

Other components meaning besides my reciever is my Sammy upscaling DVD player,cable box and Xbox360.

Thanks for the responses.