I'm Worn Out With Klipsch... Sonic Bliss at Best Buy...yikes!!!!

Raider

I am worn out having spent the day auditioning Klipsch.

I began this morning by driving an hour to a nearby Klipsch dealer whose company does mostly commercial installations, and high end audio/video. He had just received a system with the RF83/RC64/RS64 in a 5.1 configuration. I listened to a few familiar CD's, and also watched a DTS demo CD with excerpt from various movies. I heard passages and instrumentation on these cd's that I have never heard before, though I have listened to them probably a hundred times. A scene from Lord of the Rings where the front gate of the castle is blown apart was absolutely incredible. The system was very adept at both nuance and visceral impact.

Next I went to a nearby dealer and this time auditioned the RF63, RF62, and also the various boorshelves, most of which were from the previous Reference line (RF10, RF15, etc.). I again played the familiar CD's. I find that I really like the RF62's balance, and amazing depth of bass response for 6's. The RF63's are different in sonic signature. I had difficulty in choosing a favorite between the two frankly. I like both, but the 83 has more detail in the midrange. I could hear differences between the two, and finally favored the 63, but for the roughly $1000 difference, I can buy all the matching surrounds for the 62. Tough call. Finally gave up for the day. However, an audition of the bookshelves for my office/studio was very enlightening. The 6 inch and eight inch were both quite good. I heard both with a 10' PSB sub, and came away feeling that this route would definitely be best for that application. I enjoyed that they presented a sound stage that rivalled the floorstanders. I found the PSB sub to blend well and it was an excellent value at $359. I was not able to hear a Klipsch sub with these. I have to wonder how good they would be with the Sub12 that has been recommended here at the same price point. I particularly liked the fact that the spectral balance and detail remained at very low volumes, which will be nice tfor late night listening after everyone else is in bed. Like now for instance.

Part of the decision process is what TV I will need for the HT room, and how much budget is then left for the speakers. So I struck out to Best Buy to see if they had that new Phlat-light LED-engined Samsing in yet. No. :( . Since I knew they had the Sub 12 I went over to the speaker section. There was a 60 inch Pioneer plasma that was flanked by the eight-inch Klipsch Synergy towers, a six-inch center, and two 6-inch towers for the rear. A demo DTS DVD was playing including the Eagles farewell tour, a great jazz group whose name I didn't get, and several scenes from various movies. I have "heard" the Synergy line in passing, but it's usually used for basically sound effects to sell TV's. But tonight, the chairs were open, I was tiired, so I plopped down. And I found myself seriously listening and enjoying them for the next 45 minutes. Not to the speaker, but to the music or performance itself. (A common theme all day long, with each Klipsch system I have heard.) I was surprised by just how good and musical the "entry" level Kilpsch line is, and how affordable it is. But I was also surprised though at how close the price was to the reference systems quotes I've been getting. If the Synergy quotes were similar, frankly I would have a hard time not taking that route as the clear most-bang-for-the-buck-no-way-you-could-feel-guilty champ.

So I found myself at the end of the day enjoying a short respite of musical bliss in of all places, Best Buy in the middle of their Saturday night chaos. The Synergy's created a little cocoon of relaxation. And made me realize how good it would be at the end of a day to enjoy this in my home. I came away though with no winner system that stands out as clearly the thing to do. I like several within the line, but as they say "it's all good". It will be difficult to make a bad choice. But also difficult to just make the choice. Decisions, decisions.....

Thanks to the community here for the help and suggestions.

You will just have to put it all down on paper and then figure out which way you want to go. Taking into consideration all aspects of the HT: Video screen, speakers, AV unit, and the source for video and music. Man do go nuts on us. The easy part is all KLIPSCH but which line is the problem. Good luck in your quest for perfection. Bill

Good write up, Now find some Heritage series speakers, or find a member like Coytee, a "Big Dawg" in the Heritage group, and take a listen to the Heritage sound. I have no doubt whatever series from Klipsch you chose, will be to your liking, just some better than others. You owe it to yourself to give the Heritage line a listen. If you want a dependable, good looking, many years of sevice, klipsch style bang for the dollar speaker, You've come to the right place. Don't cheat your ears, find atleast one Heritage set-up to listen to before your final choice, hey, you might think they suck, but I doubt it..............

Didn't you demo a non-klipsch system today too? Or is that at another dealer at another time? I must confess watching you bounce around is most entertaining...never seen someone so dedicated.

And to think my wife accuses me of being overly analytical!

The non-Klipsch demo didn't come together today, maybe next week.

I did hear the RF63/RF62 compared to the PSB towers. Nolo Contendere. No Mas.

The salesman just looked at me smiling and said "well, they are different."

oldbuckster, you're killing me, man. I actually love the Heritage stuff, Have since '75 when I heard Paul demo Klipschorns at an AES meeting/studio opening. But I can't get there for three reasons. Primarily, size and layout of the room, especially placement of doors windows. Second is money. Still can't afford 'em. Though used would be a possibility, but I have limited time to search. Third is SAF. The reference is about as far as I can push that envelope. If I had the room and the cash, no question Heritage. Realities of life: I can probably pull off Reference. But I am glad you carry the torch. And I may have to see if I can get over to Knoxville...

oldbuckster, you're killing me, man. I actually love the Heritage stuff, Have since '75 when I heard Paul demo Klipschorns at an AES meeting/studio opening. But I can't get there for three reasons. Primarily, size and layout of the room, especially placement of doors windows. Second is money. Still can't afford 'em. Though used would be a possibility, but I have limited time to search. Third is SAF. The reference is about as far as I can push that envelope. If I had the room and the cash, no question Heritage. Realities of life: I can probably pull off Reference. But I am glad you carry the torch. And I may have to see if I can get over to Knoxville...

OK BUD............NO PROBLEM...........YOU ASK A QUESTION........YOU GET ANSWER

YOU DON'T LIKE ANSWER.........I'M NOT KILLING ANYONE........DOESN'T MATTER TO ME...........

OK BUD............NO PROBLEM...........YOU ASK A QUESTION........YOU GET ANSWER

YOU DON'T LIKE  ANSWER.........I'M NOT KILLING ANYONE........DOESN'T MATTER TO ME...........

No need to yell.

kid:

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): kid·ded; kid·ding

Etymology: probably from kid

transitive verb

1 a : to deceive as a joke or b : to fail to admit the truth to

2 : to make fun of

intransitive verb : to engage in good-humored fooling or horseplay -- often used with around

No offense taken.

So I found myself at the end of the day enjoying a short respite of musical bliss in of all places, Best Buy in the middle of their Saturday night chaos. The Synergy's created a little cocoon of relaxation. And made me realize how good it would be at the end of a day to enjoy this in my home. I came away though with no winner system that stands out as clearly the thing to do. I like several within the line, but as they say "it's all good". It will be difficult to make a bad choice. But also difficult to just make the choice. Decisions, decisions.....

Thanks to the community here for the help and suggestions.

Oh my - what a whirlwind of a day that had to of been! [:o]

Funny thing is, if I am running errands and Best Buy is included as a stop, I often finding myself going over to the speaker section and just sit there and listen to the Klipsch Synergy towers and relax. It actually does make for a nice respite, not to mention that those newer Synergy speakers are indeed very impressive. First time I heard those S-3's, I was like "WOW!".

But yeah, there is some overlap of the Synergy and the Reference, especially at the higher end of the Synergy line. I am still of the opinion that if the price comes that close - spend the few extra dollars and just get the Reference.

Anyway, whichever way you go, I honostly think that you will not go wrong - but at the same time, don't short-change yourself. If you can afford it, and have the space for it, go for the bigger, higher-end speaker/line. Otherwise, you'll probably be thinking, "Man, if I just spent a little more, I wonder how those (name speaker) would sound in here instead of what I got now."