is klipsch selling extra corrners for the triangular-shaped RT-12d ?

iwillwalk

I am planning on getting one of these when my room is done. Since the corner placement is rather limiting I was going to look into building a corner loader for it. Maybe assymetrical "X" made out of 1" mdf where it can sit in the front of the X?? I could take it outside and measure the SPL at a given volume @ 1meter with and without the mini-corner to see how much it helps. The answer to this is probably the closer it gets in size to my wall the more it helps [;)] but actual measurements would help other people decide if the project is worthwhile.

Well, it's not intended at all to be 'corner loaded' so the room corner

is just another spot to put it. I would think with one driver and two

passives that it might be less dependent on room placement than other

single-driver models. Experiement with scooting it up next to the wall

if you want, but know that it has some type of computer controller

inside that is supposed to help make it less room-dependent.

In other words, don't worry about it.

M

here ya go

By utilizing a patent-pending auto

room correction process, formally known as Adaptive Room Correction or

ARC, and the included calibration microphone, the RT-12d ensures ideal

performance in every listening area at the touch of a button. It also

comes with an IR sensor for operation from any learning remote or

control system.

Couldn't you put it on top of your khorns? [;)]

Doc, I'm surprised at you! Everyone knows that the bass notes are heavier and tend to sink to the floor. That is why the woofers are generally lower in the cabinets than the tweeters. Putting the sub on top of a Khorn for example, would cause serious detriment as the sub sound waves slide off the top of the cabinet and fall to the floor, taking the tweeters notes with them.

Leave the subs on the floor where they belong.

Doc, I'm surprised at you! Everyone knows that the bass notes are heavier and tend to sink to the floor. That is why the woofers are generally lower in the cabinets than the tweeters. Putting the sub on top of a Khorn for example, would cause serious detriment as the sub sound waves slide off the top of the cabinet and fall to the floor, taking the tweeters notes with them.

Huh??? by placing them on the top of the horn you may infact lose some db but lose some boominess... You lose floor loading but you might stop some standing waves.

Huh??? by placing them on the top of the horn you may infact lose some db but lose some boominess... You lose floor loading but you might stop some standing waves.

I think he's joking...

By putting the sub higher up you lose the 1/8th space loading at frequencies above 75Hz. You'll also have a boundary cancellation with the floor (3dB notch out) at 67 and 75Hz. Frequencies below 65Hz will still see the 1/8th space loading. So the only losses that are going to occur will be higher in frequency (usually not a bad thing with a subwoofer).

A room with an 8 foot cieling is going to have its first vertical standing wave at 71Hz - so when you change the height of the sub you will change the nodal distribution of this standing wave putting the listening position right around the 90 degree point - which means the listener won't notice any amplitude effects from that particular standing wave. And since this is the fundamental mode as a result of the height you are going to effectively clean up the entire modal structure.

Well that's how the theory goes (to the best of my understanding)...I too prefer the subs on the floor because of the "floor shock" as Colter likes to put it [;)]

There is however going to be no interaction between the bass notes and tweeter notes other than what is supposed to happen. If anything, you want the bass and tweeter notes to originate from the exact same location in space (which is almost impossible to achieve).

To answer your original question....

I don't think they have to be mounted in the corner. Subs naturally perform better when tucked into the corners, but there shouldn't be anything inherant with the loading on the PR's that requires them to be close to the wall. And due to the size of the wavelengths you are going to see very similar loading even if you pull it out a couple feet (like positioned in front of a khorn).