Silver or copper wires?

WPM

Hmmm,...

Maybe the best sounding speaker cable is to not use one! If you have monoblocks, couldn't you just put them close enough to the speakers that you can reroute the wires leading from the network directly to the amps outputs (bypassing the speaker binding posts)?

The ICs will need to be longer so use good ones... with the money saved not using spaker cables.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using braided CAT-5 with teflon insulation. The conductors
are copper and I used enough to get 11 gauge equivalent. The
teflon insulation reduces capacitance.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

The wife, the boys and I braided cable until our fingers were sore.

In
the end I couldn't hear a bit of difference over 12 ga. Monster cable
on my La Scalas. I could detect a difference on the KLF-C7 center
i was using. i believe it is because the La Scala's impedance is
so high in the midrange where your ears are most sensitive. I
failed a double-bilnd comparison of CAT-5 vs copper zip cord,
miserably.

They look awesome, though!

After you exceed a certain size of wire for the length you have, nothing else matters.

OK I"ll throw my two cents in..I replaced my ordinary (don't know what type it was) speaker wire years ago with Audioquest Indigo, 15 feet each. (of course, it's copper) I noticed an immediate improvement, and I had my wife give it a listen (without telling her what I did) and she stated there was a definite, noticeable improvement, that being everything was "clearer" "more defined" etc. etc. Well, you get the picture. Anyway, years later, after reading everything on this BB, I got to thinking, I probably was fooling myself. I wanted to rearrange my components, and the 15 feet wasn't going to do it. So I bought some Monster cable (yes, I too remember it when it was the "expensive" cable) to replace the Audioquest, moved all the components and hooked it up, thinking what a dope I was to have bought the Audioquest in the first place. Well, was I surprised..again. It was like someone threw a blanket over the tweeter and horn. I tried and tried to get used to it, but I went back to the current set up, and I'm glad I did!

Now, is the Audioquest better, or is the Monster that bad?? I'd love to try the Home Depot wire everyone's been talking about!! I really want to rearrange my room, but I'm not giving up the sound!! If the HD lampcord would sound the same as the AQ, then I'd gladly replace it.

The AQ wasn't THAT expensive, so I'm not trying to qualify my purchase. Is all copper equal? Or does solid (AQ) vs. stranded (MC) make a difference? AL? Bob??

I certainly can't comment on silver..never heard it/ have no desire..especially if it makes things brighter!!

Thanx

Steve

I found Audioquest bulk wire to mate really well with Klipsch( I'm not sure what their called it's just white thin cable). So happy with them I havent' change them since I've tried them. I tried Kimber and it just crippled my ears with to much highs with my current setup.

1. The oxidization, tarnish, on silver is conductive unlike the copper when it oxidizes.

2. Try DIY. Why not buy some Teflon'd solid silver 18awg or 22awg from Homegrown Audio or http://www.hooverandstrong.com/mill/roundwire_specs.htm

The latter you need to get some Teflon tubing from Mcmaster Carr and do it yourself; the homegorwn stuff is already sheathed in Teflon.

Just do 3-4 turns per foot, no shield (you can add one later if you need it).

The above linked Roger Russell page states 6ft max 20awg I think? Cheap way to check out silver. I have a hybrid 22awg copper solid core/22awg silver solid core speaker cable here ready to test at the end of the week.

Zaolla cables are cheap, very well built, 99.999 solid core silver; can be had REAL cheap from Midi Classics in CT:

http://www.midi-classics.com/c/cZ9886.htm

if you buy maybe 200$ worth. that guy gives some serious bulk ($$$) deals. It's not ubercable, not Cardas HyperThong, etc. but decent stuff; triple shield, flexible, good terminations, sounds good. Most of their PR is hillarious, way overboard, but doesn't change the fact that it's well-built.

http://www.zaolla.com/zaolla_product_audio_interconnects1.html

How long of a length do you need for speaker cables. I may have a set of Belden CC89259 (cross connected Jon Risch design) I could load you; 3ft enough?

v/r

DC

p.s. I like the no wire idea...rad hey