Newbie introduction

Fretshop

Howdy. Been lurking for a week or so. Thought I'd intro myself. I have a small guitar shop in Columbus Ohio. Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Half the place is a repair shop the other is Vintage retail. I've got a decent setup in there where I listen to mostly Vinyl all day while I restore old guitars. Not a bad life.

Here's the system:

VPI HWjr stock, bearing a Rega 300rb w/Incognito upgrades and a Benz Glider HO. Sits in a Bright Star sandbox. VPI vacusuck thing for the records. NAD 660 CD recorder through a Theta Pro somethingorother DA converter. '80's NAD 1133 preamp, NAD 2200 poweramp, and an NAD 43something tuner I rarely use. MIT Terminator 2's all around except a 50' run from pre to amp with that coax cable thing from MIT.

.......And of course '85 Klipsch Cornwalls.

Pretty decent low buck hifi.

I had a pair of KG4's in the system for a long time. A few weeks ago a client hipped me to a pair of Cornwall I's totally stock and immaculate. His wife made him sell them because they were too big and didn't fit the decor. The steep price of love. Paid the whopping sum of $650 for them and he "threw in" a Scott LK72(like the deal needed a sweetener). It needed a bit of service but is fully functioning now.

Lucky me.

First of all the Corns are stupid good sounding. ...And I thought the KG4's sounded amazing. Yikes. I've been A/Bing the Scott with the solid state NAD stuff. I notice the horns love the tubes. Really smoothes out the rougher edges. The low end from the NAD rig is far more detailed and punchy. I'm actually preferring the Solid State at the moment as the Scott seems a bit distant and blurry. Not as clean or clear as the NAD. Could be the Scott needs a rebuild but I suspect it just may not have the goods. Dreaming of Mcintosh tube stuff. Never heard SET stuff but it sounds interesting. I just love tubes on guitars--wouldn't play without them. Funny how I'm digging the SS on the Corns....

Anyway I'm out of money now so no big tweeks or new components in the near future. If I never did another thing to it I'd be totally satisfied with the sound. Took the KG4's home to replace a set of Advent Utilities I bought in '79. Sound great with an old NAD 3020. I'm going to try the Scott on the KG4's too.

So there you have it. I'll chime in if I feel the urge. Nice forum.

Phil Maneri

Fretshop...Welcome aboard!! Nice system..I purchased a Music Hall 5 six months ago and love it but I just don't have the time to get to listen to it enough. I really don't take my chances with three kids running around the living room, so I only get the opportunity to do vinyl when I'm all alone. I'm not going to touch the tube/ss debate so I'll just end by saying welcome again....