SAE X-10A HYPERSONIC CLASS A POWER AMP

johnyholiday

SAE X-10A HYPERSONIC CLASS A POWER AMP here's one for ya this is ,never

was, an never will be, a CLASS A POWER AMP, the designer knew it,but

marketing didn't care, just marketing hyperbole..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&item=260027603995&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

............yet carbon units, still crack their wallets open...

post-16352-13819308231494_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look too much like my old '91 SAE A205 at all (now sold)...one of the very last amplifier models the L.A.-based company made after the audio catalog giant DAK Industries bought them out many years ago (and DAK eventually went out of business soon afterwards).

This model A205 also had the distinction of operating in true class-A mode (so their literature claimed), had 8 high power transistors per channel, a high efficient toroidal transformer power supply, computer grade 28,000uf capacitors, and a unique output power switch. This feature allowed the amp to operate in two seperate power levels to match your loudspeaker's capabilities (either 100 watts or 200 watts per channel), and was selectable by its rear mounted switch.

I do recall while using this amp in 200 WPC mode at high levels (driving a pair of inefficient '83 JBL L112 Century II monitors) that its cabinet would get incredibly hot...even with its cooling fins! It could've very well have been operating in class-A mode for all I know.

post-11084-1381930827305_thumb.jpg