Julie London, 1956 = Diana Krall, 2006

jdm56

I just got a 2-disc, 50-track Julie London collection and I gotta say I'm floored by the similarity between these two artists. Phrasing and tone is nearly identical, although Diana's range extends a bit lower. Instrumental backing is similar in that both range from intimate two or three piece jazz to more typical 50's/60's vocal pop arrangements, with or without strings. Anybody who likes DK will like JL! And personally, I like the sound better on this particular Julie London title better than the typical Krall CD. (I don't care much for the way Diana Kralls voice is usually mic'd so close.)

Yeah, I gotta try to catch a re-run to refresh my memory, but I do recall those tight nurse outfits being really well filled out! Of course, at the time of those old "Emergency!" episodes, I had no idea she had been a popular singer. Add to that the fact she was born the same year as my mother, so it's kind of bizarre to "discover" her music at this point in my life...and to see how hot she was and how sexy her vocal delivery could be.

One more little tidbit of trivia of interest only to me: Julie London played Dixie McCall on "Emergency!", while the character I play in real life is named Doug McCall. So I guess I was bound to connect with her on some level, eventually. Like I said, of interest only to me.[^o)]

One more little tidbit of trivia of interest only to me: Julie London played Dixie McCall on "Emergency!", while the character I play in real life is named Doug McCall. So I guess I was bound to connect with her on some level, eventually. Like I said, of interest only to me.[^o)]

Do you look as good as she did in that nurses uniform?