Ping MIchael on PJ bracket

Cal Blacksmith

I think I have it. I flipped the unit over on a flat surface with a dowel rod underneath it, moving back and forth until balance point was reached. On the front to back balance, it's where the two black phillips screws are, about 1" in front of the two brass mounting inserts.

Side to side, it's pretty dead nuts center, you can use the edge of the lamp access door as an approximate balance line.

Here's the photo again.

post-10755-13819308337754_thumb.jpg

WOOOHOO, now THAT is custom. Very cool, so then it can be freely rotated as well. My ceiling bracket would need to go with the direction of projection (forward back) as that is the direction of the ceilings joists.

Just got thinking that I have the power outlet and feeds right next to where I was going to mount the PJ, I might have to shift it forward/back a bit due to clearance. But that's easily accomplished. Probably make a shortie A/C power cord also.

But thanks for the ceiling hugging design. I think it's far enough away to allow for good cooling, don't you?

Do you still have my shipping address?

Thanks a bunch Wayne. Very cool of you to build for me.

Michael

I noticed a blue box in the middle of the ceiling in your gallery, during my visit. Is that what this is for? Do you do video stuff when you photograph weddings and what not? I have a friend interviewing photogs for his wedding. He told me alot of them do video compilations of photographs and such. Not trying to be nosey, just interested.

Jeremy

Yes, when I rewired the house (another nightmare altogether), I had A/C box and a box for signal wires put in the homes formal living room which is now my photo gallery.

From my desk location in the front corner of the room I have run a component RBG cable and also the DIN plug from computer. The Canon projector has software switch for TV/Comp so I can keep both high quality signal input wires permanently connected and switch video sources via the remote.Currently I don't use the RGB hookup as I don't use this room for movies at all.

I have been having my film scanned, but am now almost entirely digital. I edit the images from a wedding and use ProShots (by Kodak) as my album design layout software and it also communicates with my lab. I use FireHandLightning to create a locked slide show and print viewer so the clients can take the show home. They cannot copy, print, or load the program to hard drive. And I can make it self-destruct (true, it has an 'expiration' timer in the software).

Michael

Your welcome Mike[;)]

The ceiling mount can rotate 360 degrees, it makes no difference. All you will
need to mount the two pieces together is a blade screwdriver long enough to
reach the screw at the rear of the mount.

To attach the mount to your PJ, you will need 3 screws to fit your PJ screw inserts, 6 nuts and 6 washers to fit the said screws.

Take one of the three mounting screws (you provide these to
fit the threads in the bottom of your PJ) and screw a nut up about 3/4 of the
way up the thread, next place a washer on the screw then place the screw and the
nut/washer assembly through the hole in the bracket from the top, next comes the other
washer then the second nut, screw these up the thread next to the bracket,
screw the screw into the bottom of the PJ just snug as it is not necessary to
tighten it firmly. Repeat the steps for all 3 screws and adjust the
nuts/washers until the PJ is roughly parallel to the bracket when held by the bracket. Leave about
1/4" to 1/2" of movement in the top nuts for adjustment later.

Mount the ceiling bracket to a joist with two 1/4" x 1 1/2" lag bolts (you
provide). This should be WAY more support than you will need. (this is assuming you have 1/2" sheet rock, adjust as needed)

Mount the two sections of the mount together and snug the joining screw that is
affixed to the bottom mount.

Turn the PJ until it is parallel with the wall (screen) you are projecting onto
and lightly tighten the joining screw to keep the PJ from rotating.

Turn the PJ on and adjust the two back screws until the picture is parallel to
the floor then adjust the front screw up or down to bring the top of the
picture to the proper height you wish to project to. Snug the nuts to the bracket
to prevent the PJ from moving

EDIT, if the screws start to bind in the holes BEFORE you get the PJ adjusted, you can open the holes a little to allow more movement of the PJ. The size of the holes had to be guessed at so this is no big deal. I drilled them just short of !/4" diameter.

You then can use the adjustments in your Projector to adjust for any key
stoning, barrel or pincushion distortion etc.

Enjoy!

Great design, I think the holes in the PJ are for 5mm screws so the 1/4" is more than substantial. I'll just use some washers to hold it together, alternately, I have drill press, so could just drill new holes slightly away from the others.

I was also thinking that once I get it mounted, I might be able to take the PJ and bracket down, see where the screw is hitting, and file a small flat spot there to keep it from rotating any at all.

It all looks very secure, close to the ceiling, small and clean. Thanks for a great job!

Let me know what you want for parts and shipping and I'll send check or paypal you.

Now everyone will want their own CalCustom PJ bracket!

Michael

Michael, I will be off to the PO in about 5 min to send it to you. I have your address in an email you sent me in Feb. (I never delete some things[;)])

The design requires washers to allow you to adjust the PJ, no additonal drilling will be needed.

Take care, off to the PO!

OBTW, the Disc Doctor brushes will be in the package also. They are for all intents, new.

Wayne

ohh, a bonus- I'd almost forgotten about those since the Thorens debacle. Incidentally I'm getting good news from Scott that the unit is behaving better under his care and tweaking. I'll let him discuss his findings in a later thread. But I should be back into vinyl soon.

Thanks again!

Now to go take care of some Zoning idiocy!

Michael

Yes thanks, that's what the msg on the 12th relates to! I was out of town this weekend, but should get it all mounted nice and tidy this week. Very nice workmanship!

Thanks also for the brushes. I keep getting updates from Scott about the Thorens and sounds like he's found more than a couple of problems that he's been able to repair. It should be on the way home soon.