Found a new way to get put on the DO NOT CALL LIST

homemadeheresy

It starts every morning at about 10 o'clock, telemarketers trying to sell you something or some service. This evening I had a brilliant idea. Looked at the caller ID and noticed it was from Oregon. I don't know anyone in Oregon, anyhow answered the phone only to hear that all too familiar pause. Then the came the pre-recorded message telling me what they were about to give me. Nothing that I wanted, so I noticed that Frankenstein covered by Phish was playing down stairs. So I went down pressed the back button on the cd player, so they could experience the beginning right in your face bust into that wonderful jam. Cranked up the volume to give them a steady 15 watts through the homemade Belle(s). After about 10 seconds turned down the volume to see if anyone was there. Unfortunately there wasn't anyone on the other side anymore. I am hoping that this will get me on the do not call list. I'll keep you posted..................................

homemadeheresy

I have bad news for you.

I am a former regional master sales trainer, and in checking my messages at the power selling forum, I saw a new post with you name and numer, stating to call to get some great tunes. The post says you rock.

What I get a kick out of is keeping them on the line as long as I can . "If I'm bored that is ."

Tell them to hold on a sec and you will get the person they are calling for . Keep making excuses but tell them to hold on .

See how far you can go with this . The longer you can tie them up the less chance they have of making a sale to someone else !

That is what I used to do also; keep them on the line as long as possible. I even had one get pissed when I would not give them a credit card number and put his supervisor on the line; I told him I was just trying to see how long I could keep them on the line and waste their time, since they called me to waste my time.

• Like 1

I am loving all of those ideas.

Isn't there some number or website you can go to to try to get yourself off of the list?

My 5 y/o is very talkative. I might just put him on the phone with them the next time. He could keep them busy for hours. He might accidently sign us up for a new vacuum cleaner, some vinyl siding, or a house loan.

I have been getting slammed by student load consolidators. Tons of them.[N]

My 12 y/o's Woopee cushion could also provide some cheap entertainment for me and the boys.

A funny story: My brother in law got my 12 y/o a remote controlled flatus (far!) machine for his birthday. When you ring our doorbell, the remote signal is on the same freq. So, the door rings, and then, well you get the idea. The boys really think its funny to hide it outside the front door when the pizza guy comes over.[6]

Paul

• Like 1

• Moderators

Isn't there some number or website you can go to to try to get yourself off of the list?

National Do Not Call List

I NEVER get telemarketer calls since being on this list. If you do get some that trickle through, all you have to say is "Put me on your do not call list" and they are legally obligated to never call you again. My house has been so very peaceful since. Well worth the 30 seconds to register.

sunburnwilly

i used to keep them on the line, and then grade them

a. established repor yes/no

d. determined needs and intrest yes/no

c. ask open ended fact finding questions yes/no

d. deliver a sales message yes/no

e. over come objections yes/no

f. close the sale yes/no

g. ask for a referal yes/no

etc, etc, etc

Do bear in mind these are only people trying to make a living in a very difficult line of work. It's not one most folks aspire to, and, if it were up to them, I doubt if you'd find many who look forward to disturbing others meals, naps and peace and quiet.

That being said, I have, on occasion, answered the phone with "NO SPIK ENGLITCH!!!" It worked until I got a wise guy who tried to figure out exactly what I did speak. I'd imagine there aren't many multilingual folks working the phone banks, but they managed to set me up with one.

Anyway, I don't do that much anymore, once I figured out I was swinging at the wrong targets.

Junk mail is another matter altogether... I once taped a length of 2"X4" to a "Post-Paid" return mail card. Never heard from them again.

Thanks for the link Amy. I just registered my phones. I will see if it works.

If it doesn't, would you mind if I called you during dinner, or while you are sleeping to ask you for more sites? (Sarcasm alert!)

It will be great if they stop calling. We get about 20 calls a day now, mostly from student loans and house loans etc.

Thanks again,

Paul