Lexicon DC-1

travisc

First off Thank you Shawn. Not only lightning fast shipping He went into the menu and put my name on the start up screen

second, all you guys with yamaha receivers buy a DC-1 and kneel before it. Seriously, initial impressions, crystal clear, defined tight bass that hits with more authority.

Got the panorama set up last night and you were right Shawn. very cool!!

lets see? I turned off the sub limiter, figured out zone 2, listening right now and my 511b's have never sounded so good.

I am grateful Thanks again Shawn

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Glad you like it so far!

The 'Customized For.....' is one of those simple things that most people just love. Other then that change the rest of the unit was at the factory defaults. BTW, the one downside of that is it makes the DC-1 take longer to come out of standby. If you decide you just want it to turn on quicker if you set the 'Custom Name' to NO that turns off that function. Also, another trick with Lexicon's. Don't ever bother hitting the ON key on the remote. Just hit the input you are planning on using and the Lexicon will automatically turn on and go to that input.

"Got the panorama set up last night and you were right Shawn. very cool!!"

Panorama is what initially got me interested in the Lexicon's in the first place.

You might consider leaving the Sub/Bass Peak Limiter turned on. If/when you start doing a lot of blockbuster movies there are some that are serious sub killers for all but the most potent systems out there. After you calibrate the peak limiter 99% of the time it makes no difference but if you really need it it will save you. To calibrate it you basically turn it on and turn on the bass peak noise. You then just turn up the peak limiter until you start to hear your subs distort/complain then back it down a dB or two from there. Until the bass hits that level it does nothing to the signal. But if the material would put the subwoofer past that level (into the distorting area) the Lex. will limit the signal to prevent that.

Did you calibrate your output levels with the internal test tones to 75dB at the listening position? If not do that, the Lexicon needs that done to properly be able to apply the correct amount of Loudness compensation for whatever volume you are listening at.

Also... another neat trick about the Lexicon's volume. As it is THX certified the volume readout actually gives you useful information. As you have noticed it works from -80dB to +12dB. 0dB on the Lexicon is THX Reference level... the level movies are mixed to be watched at. THX Reference Level works out to the max peaks of 105dB per speaker at the listening position for the main channels and 115dB for the LFE channel.

So.... the volume control can actually tell you what the max. possible peak SPL at the listening position per speaker is at all times. The 105dB @ 0dB on the volume control is the key. Just take whatever the volume control says and apply it against 105dB. In other words if the volume control says -20dB..... 105 - 20 dB = 85dB. At -20dB on the volume control the max possible peak SPL level per speaker at the listening position is 85dB. If the volume control say +12.... 105 + 12 = 117dB... your max possible peak SPL level per speaker at the listening position is 117dB. (Assuming no clipping/speaker compression) Etc...etc...

The other very cool thing about having a calibrated volume control like this is if you are listening to a CD at say -12dB and describe some sound you hear if I wanted to listen to the same CD at the same SPL level in my room I simply set my volume control to -12dB too and we are listening at the same level. Doesn't matter the differences in rooms, speakers, amps...etc...etc. The initial calibration of the system deals with all of that.

Lets see...... do your amps have trigger inputs on them? If they do you should hook up the Lexicon's power trigger to the so that the Lex. will automatically turn them on for you when you turn on the Lex. If they don't a trigger controlled power strip can be used to turn on your amps (and other components) when you turn on the Lexicon. A simple thing but it is nice to be able to turn on/off your system by remote.

Anyhow... sorry for the long post. Once I get going about these it is hard to shut me up. ;) If you have any questions about any of this fire away.

Have fun!

Shawn

P.S. If you think the DC-1 is good now just wait till you add more speakers to it... you are in for an even bigger treat then!

Wayne, you are finally enjoying the benefits of what a good quality dedicated pre/pro can have over a receiver regardless of brand.

Glad it worked out for you and it made a positive difference, your system did sound fabulous before I can only imagine what it is like now. Enjoy!

Thanks guys.

Yup I got alot of tinkering to do. No trigger on the amp. I got a Panamax 1000 and read somewheres on the forum that I can rig it up. For now the amp will just stay on since I use it at work(zone 2) and at night and I am too lazy to wake up and do anything other than shut her down by remote. Unfortunate there is no sleep function. I will have to work around that. More to come.

again Thanks for the interest Shawn

I am grateful Thanks again Shawn

Wayne

Wayne,

You're absolutely right on both counts. Shawn is one helpful guy! From what I've seen, he has gone out of his way to take the time out to help out us less fortunate ones... :) He was the one responsible for the many many hours that I spent (continue to spend, actually) enjoying my Lexicon MC-8 each month.

And you're also right that the Lex is one amazing machine. Your comment about Yamaha... Yes, it is THAT much better. I have yet to try all the setting in there, and I am further still from understanding the ones that I have tried. But it has been an amazing learning experience, and, I can safely say, my one audio purchase that has made the most significant difference in my system.

Glad you like it... Be prepared to spend hours and hours tweaking!

Good luck.

Fauzi

PS: Do sign yourself up at www.smr-forums.com... It's an awesome forum for Lex owners and can be quite active at times...

Jesus I could sell my rsw-15 with the response my Cornwalls have now, hot damn. Set to small crossing at 40hz and thats because it seems like a waste to not use the sub. Now I am fully beginning to hear what they truly mean about Cornwall Bass!!!

I have no time......need more free time