Upgrading My Speakers to Klipsch

chitown2477

I have a Yamaha 5740 home theater receiver that is rated 85watts x 6 channels (6.1 / high power amp), 8ohms. It was part of a HTIB that cost $500. I have upgraded my sub to a Definitive Technology Pro Sub 60. All other 6 six speakers came with the HTIB.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My goal is to upgrade all front L/R, center, and surrounds to have more clarity and overall better performance. I use the system for 75% movies and 25% music.

I am thinking about Klipsch speakers (RF-62 Floorstanding Loudspeaker for

front L/R, RC-52 Center Channel for center, and RB-61 Bookshelf Loudspeaker for surrounds). I think that the overall quality of speakers, increased sensitivity (from 89 to about 96), and improved RMS (from about 70 to 125) will give me what I am looking for.

Any thoughts or feedback to let me know I am on the right track? I most want to know if my amp will be over-taxed by the speakers.

Thanks!

I think going from 89dB to 96dB is going to make you think you bought a new receiver...and I like Klipsch...can't help you much with the ones you have chosen as I have Heritage but this will hold you until some of the young bucks come on here and give you some more intel...congrats and welcome!

Bill

I have a Yamaha 5740 home theater receiver that is rated 85watts x 6 channels (6.1 / high power amp), 8ohms. It was part of a HTIB that cost $500. I have upgraded my sub to a Definitive Technology Pro Sub 60. All other 6 six speakers came with the HTIB.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My goal is to upgrade all front L/R, center, and surrounds to have more clarity and overall better performance. I use the system for 75% movies and 25% music.

I am thinking about Klipsch speakers (RF-62 Floorstanding Loudspeaker for

front L/R, RC-52 Center Channel for center, and RB-61 Bookshelf Loudspeaker for surrounds). I think that the overall quality of speakers, increased sensitivity (from 89 to about 96), and improved RMS (from about 70 to 125) will give me what I am looking for.

Any thoughts or feedback to let me know I am on the right track? I most want to know if my amp will be over-taxed by the speakers.

Thanks!

I think you will be thrilled with the selection you have made over what you currently have. As silversport notes, hold off on your new receiver for a while. The increase in relative efficiency between what you have now and the Klipsch will be the same as if your current receiver put out 4 times the power.

I have been looking at a similar setup. You may want to consider a couple of things. First, i would try to timbre match your front stage if at all possible. The center speaker is very important as a majority of HT material is mixed to that location. So I think it would be wise to go to the RC62 if possible to match the RF62's. Second, if you are floor mounting your surrounds, consider that the RB61's -by the time you buy stands- will likely cost the same and occupy the same footprint on the floor as a floorstanding model. you may be able to get another pair of RF62's for the same price. And you will increase the bass response capability of the total system as well. This could likely be done with the money you will save from probably not having to buy another receiver. :)

Let us know how things turn out for you.

Both have the same tweeter, so the high end will be the same, but they use different bass drivers. Not a huge difference between the two, but any two drivers will have a slightly different sonic character, especially of different sizes. Compare to two to each other, nothing else playing and you'll see what I mean. Another difference would be in the output capability of the larger drivers, which will be more similar to the mains you have chosen. So side to side pans across the front stage will be more seamless and convincing. Most folks here recommend getting the best center you can. FWIW

Hey there, I too am a fairly recent convert to the Klipsch line. I am the very proud new owner of the RF83. You will be blown away with the Klipsch speakers no matter what your budget can stand. Keep the same receiver and have a good old listen for a few days then if you want to, go and upgrade the receiver. As far as timbermatching the center goes, I currently have the RC62 which i bought a couple of months before the RF83(thats what got me interested in Klipsch). The RF83 are matched to the RC64, a much bigger and more expensive center but I have to tell you the RC62 that I use works very very well with the RF83. All in all a wonderfull wicked fantastic sounding system, love the Klipsch!

that 7db gain in efficiency will be like haveing 4x the receiver power!

You will love that matchup. But I would get the larger center, especially with your mix of 75% movies. The center is crucial. And you only have to buy one, so the price difference is pretty easy to justify.

You too Jet Jockey, I'd seriously consider the larger center for you RF83's. But glad you are happy with what you have.

Michael