SACD vs DVD-Audio

Kain

Which do you prefer and why.

------------------

Will be getting the following in December.

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" FD Trinitron WEGA)

DVD player: (Still deciding)

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (HiFi VCR)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Oh, oh... here we go! Smile.gif

For the moment, I prefer DVD-Audio only because that's what I've got right now. Isn't that fickle?!

Seriously, I've listened to both and I think they're both great formats. I do happen to like multi-channel music and I'm very impressed with DVD-A. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be equally happy with multi-channel SACD. My big draw to DVD-A is the material available in that format. That is all subject to change as time goes on, however.

Ross

BTW - "The Big Phat Band" in DVD-A is incredible!

------------------

My System's Stuff

This message has been edited by RossVTaylor on 11-22-2001 at 02:49 PM

I suppose my opinion on this could be discounted since I have not bought into either format yet, but then again, I've never let ignorance keep me quiet. cwm32.gif

Really, I believe they both have tremendous potential, but SACD was conceived from the outset as a music format, whereas you can't even control any DVD-A player that I have seen, without a TV monitor hooked to it. cwm10.gif

DVD-A just seems to be an afterthought, something tacked on to a DVD player.

It just ticks me off the industry couldn't agree to one standard format. I think I will hold off until one format or the other folds (unlikely), or until players come out that can handle either format.

Besides, there is very little to hook one to, other than an AV receiver or pre/pro; and I don't need no stinkin' video gear in my music room, thank you very much!

Oh, and one more thing; I'm in no hurry to shell out 20 to 30 bucks per disc, for either one.

------------------

JDMcCall

I have a SERIOUS problem with DVD-A. I'm interested primarily in music, but with the DVD-A players, with EVERY SINGLE DAMN ONE OF THEM I'VE SEEN,

YOU CAN'T LISTEN TO A DVD-A UNLESS THE PLAYER IS CONNECTED TO A TEEVEE SET BECAUSE YOU CAN'T NAVIGATE THE MENUS AND PLAY THE STUPID SONGS!!!s>

If they'd just set it up so that you could pop in a disc and it would play, I'd own one by now. As it stands, I am NEVER EVER EVER going to buy a DVD-A player unless I can play tunes without having to go get a teevee and hook it into the system.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Uh, James and Ray, I have to politely disagree a bit here.

It's been my experience, with my Denon DVD-3300 at least (and my limited selection of 6 or 7 DVD-A discs), that I don't need to have the projector on to play music. In fact, I've only had the projector on once or twice with each disc, and that was only to see what visual content they had (I should have saved the phosphor). Now, I just pop in the disc and hit play. One of my discs also requires an extra press of the "group" button on the Denon. After that, it's just like using a CD player.

There may be players or discs that *require* a TV, but I sure don't need it with my setup.

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

I recently purchased the Sony CE775 multi-channel SACD changer for about $300. Along with a variety of SACDs. One was Blood, Sweat & Tear early album of the same name in stereo which I have compared to a regular CD version and an LP I have. The SACD is better than the CD and sounds like the LP w/o surface noise. However when I play the same CD through my Perpetual Technologies P1A(correction Engine 16/44 to 24/96) and P3A ( Stereophile DAC component of the year) it sounds better than both the LP and SACD. Of course, the SACD is being processed through the CE775 internal DAC. My guess is that if the SACD was played through a multichannel DAC as good as the P3A, it would sound better than the P1A enhanced CD but I dont think by much. Good news since I have over 1000CDs. However, the multi-channel SACD which, of course use the same CE775 internal DAC, exhibit a presence (center channel effect?), depth and fullness (surround effect?) greater than the CD. I believe that this is from the additional channels with the center channel clearly present but the rears hardly noticeable (but I believe contributing to the depth and fullness). These multichannel SACDs through an improved DAC would sound noticeably different than stereo SACDs or enhanced CDs. Whether these added dimensions will be desirable over time is a question in my mind. I think I felt more comfortable listing in stereo through my Klipschorns (of course, this is what Im most used to). I did like the multichannel SACDs better than stereo through my Klipsch THX system. Of course, unlike the Khorns, the THX system is less revealing of differences in DAC quality. I must add, however, that while the internal DAC in the CE775 is not a match for the P3A it is quite a bit better than the DAC s in my SONY changer. I think the CE775 is a very good buy. Obviously, an attempt by Sony to popularize their SACD format, which they have a lot riding on. I think the SACD format will win out over DVD-A because of the new hybrid SACDs that can be played on regular CD players and I predict will replace standard CDs and KO HDCDs (24 vs 20 bit). But how can one add an external DAC with no digital output for the SACD option?

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems