Another 300B possibility for SETers

Erik Mandaville

I can understand that, Erik. The Laurels sold for over 2K new, I believe. And since the pair on AudiogoN are near mint, the opening bid of 1K is justifiable, especially if they usually don't show up on the used market.

Still too much for this poor slob, though...[:'(]

Thanks, Erik...I'm certainly not complaining (especially for the eBay price I got it for; I haven't seen a cheaper 300B SET stereo amp anywhere else)! But like you said, alot of us still like window shopping, and since I've never auditioned any other single-ended amps, it'd be interesting to hear what other 300B amps from other manufacturers sound like.

Bruce:

I got mine as part of a package deal that was put together by Welborne Labs and Lowther America in...........ummmmmmmm.....1998, I think. The thing about these amps is that they seem to hold their value well. If they were put together well, as yours were, they shouldn't lose too much value for those who appreciate the kind of component they are. Yours were a little earlier vintage than mine, since I got mine after the change over from MagneQuest to Electra-print.

I think we paid $3,000 at the time, and that was for a pair of Moondog monoblocks, all tubes, Lowther PM2A drivers, internal speaker wiring and binding posts, and the flat kit for the Medallion II cabinet. The retail cost for that same package would be much, much higher now.

Right now, I think PM2A drivers, by themselves (no cab) sell for about $1,500/pair.

Erik