Wow! Another one (I'm working on a 3rd!)

D-MAN

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob Crites' driver is just the ticket for this enclosure. It has THE perfect specs for it, slightly better than the K33E in this particular configuration. However, the K33E is also fine.

The drawings look worse when hacked down and converted to jpegs to upload here. On the USPTO website they look good though.

DM

JC, no, it was designed for the K33E, but Bob's are an even better fit this application mainly due to the difference in back chamber sizes required to resonate that low. Bob's resonates in slightly less volume. The difference boils down to that fact that the raw internal volume is 4.5 cu feet and Bob's driver likes that, the K33E likes 4.8 cu feet, which means that some insulation is needed, that's all.

This was my third design. They get mixed up, I have alot of them by now. This is a single driver horn.

The idea was to make a free-standing version that matched the V2 corner horns (seen in my avatar). I figured that I need to cover all the territory that could arise from someone seeing the corner horns, just in case. The idea was to have a "line" of matching horn speakers for HT use.

That was why I did it. The particular mix of elements makes it unique.

It is very much like a Belle Klipsch with djk-LS-mods, with a new twist. I couldn't actually reference Dennis in that it is only seen on the internet, at least that's my only contact with djk, and you cannot use internet references in a patent. I do, however, want to make it clear (if its already not apparent just by looking at it) that it relies heavily on the LS mods information posted here by djk.

It is only slightly larger in footprint than a CW.

DM

Dana.

With an Fc of 70Hz, do you think the sound will be similar to a La Scala with a different presentation because of the height. Say if you plug the ports or leave them out.

Is it an 8th space or 1/4 space horn?

I think it looks better than a La Scala and will snug in the corner better.

Pop...you are probably gonna beat me to it. Of course, you would be much faster with the CNC....what an asset.

It will be wider in bandpass on both ends than a stock LS, depending on the port frequency and driver used. It will also go higher than a ported LS, due to the nature of the throat configuration. Efficiency is about the same (K33E or Bob Crites), but that depends on the driver used. Crossover slope should be at least second order, third would be better, and of course, extreme slopes are desirable. I would go for around 800Hz. It is intended for throat sizes of 39 to 78 sq. inches.

If you put a Kappa 15 LFA in it, for instance, it will kick your tail from here to Sunday.

It is a 1/2 space design, just like the LS or Belle. Same size mouth as LS/Belle.

Send me an email.

Since PWK invited DIY builders to try the Khorn when it first came out and invited their feedback, I thought I'd do the same. Seems like a good example to follow.

Like I said before, this design was intended as a rear-channel for my corner horns, which share aspects of the same design. Based on the performance of the corner horns, which is good enough to be of some commercial interest, I figured I'd better do the next thing - a free-standing version, and protect it as best I could from others making money with it without my permission.

That's why I applied for patents. Also because that's what PWK did, like I said, a good example to follow. Further, and possibly the most important, I wanted to prove that I could do it all myself. It's a substitute - sort of like building them without the saw dust, although it seems like alot more work!

Total investment for this design on my part $500 so far. Every 3-1/2 years, you have to make another payment to keep the patent (should it ever issue) alive. Seems like a reasonable investment (so far). I'm confident enough that others would like to own these that its worth the time and money it takes to protect them. You can take that for whatever it's worth as far as performance is concerned. The design presents some unique capabilities that are naturally traded-off with other things. It's selecting your tradeoffs that count. Whether you think I have selected the 'right' trade-offs is another matter, as with all things audio. You'll have to build a pair to find out for sure! I'm betting you'll agree with me and I put 500 bucks and alot of time on it.

You guys are going to soil yourselves when you see the next one! How's that for a teaser?!

DM