need advice on these Cornwalls

Jalen01

Hi There,

Been away for a while, but back with questions. I'm considering getting cornwall cwo from local ebay seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230041921262&rd=1&rd=1

I guess if memory serves cwo is either cornwalls in oak/oil finish right? I emailed the seller back to try and get the serial numbers to try and help identify the production year. The drivers from the pictures looks either really dusty or in bad shape. The seller says the the wood is in excellent condition.

Any opinions on these, should I go for em? Vintage Corns usually sell in the 700-800 dollar range right?

Thanks,

J

Yep, Walnut, oiled finsih. From the pics the Ser Num shows 1985. Looks like GREAT deal for $500, and a fair price up to around $750. Looks more like sun fading than dust.

The only quesiotn they raise is I thought that 1985 was a cornwall II, but in the pics the drivers are mounted from inside the cabinet (i.e. like a corn 1). I must be wrong on that, I'm expect someone knows the real answer...

They are original CW's but the horns look like the composite K601's (not metal K600), so they may have the bolt-on K52 driver on them. This would be near the crossover period, what we affectionately call CW 1.5. 1985 is the year of production.

I'd ask for more photos showing the condition of the top and sides. But the $500 asking price is fair if they are in better than fair condition. Ask or inspect to make sure all drivers work properly and DON"T SHIP THEM.

Good luck on your Cornwall purchase and Welcome to the Madness!

Michael

"Any opinions on these, should I go for em? Vintage Corns usually sell in the 700-800 dollar range right?"

Yes.

I would try to find out if they have k-55's or k-52's.

If they have k-52's, I would suggest that you see if you can hear some cabs with k-52's in them.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have requested more pictures of the cabs etc. The Seller has yet to respond. What's the difference in the k-55 and k52 drivers? Also what is power handling on the Corns would 200+ SS watts be too much?

I ask cause I only have HT recievers and a pro amp at the moment. I will eventually get a new amp/integrated sometime afterwards. what are thoughts on cheaper integrateds such as: Creek 5350 classic, Prima luna models, bel canto s3001 & vintage mcintosh 6100/6200. If you have suggestion in this range pls fell free to add them.

I have tried a jolida 102b (with decent tubes) with my rf3's, didn't notice any special jump in performance over the SS amps I had at that time.

Thanks,

J

Any opinions on these, should I go for em? Vintage Corns usually sell in the 700-800 dollar range right?

Thoose are nice. Don't be fooled by the $500 opening bid. They will go for more than that (closer to $700-$800).

I don't know if you could tell much difference. The K52 is a bolt on horn pattern with 1.5" vc, K55 is thread on 2" vc. They are not interchangeable on the horns, unless you'd use some adapter. Each driver goes with it's mating horn.

The CW is efficient enough that for home use, you're probably looking at realistically using 20-40 watts, so the headroom of a 200wpc amp should be fine.

Are they close by? Maybe see if you could audition them.

SEARCH for K52 and you'll find some threads, like this one where Vette points out that the K52, although considered an 'upgrade' at the time by Klipsch (by my notes), would not timbre-match with the majority of other Heritage speakers in a HT situation. Something to consider.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/775756.aspx

I'd rather use the clean power range of a 200wpc amp, than his alternative of a using the edge of the power band of a budget receiver.

Hey, we've not touched on listening habits or room size. Perhaps that might come into play?

Looking at the stuff you have thats a fact you must have a lot of space!

I own Modified Forte's and use them in a 14x18 room easyly reaching 100db levels at my chair with 10 watt SET amps with no audiable clipping.

Yes there are enough chessy recievers out there but in an average room like mine he should be ok!

SET12