KG 5.5 vs. KSF 10.5

fanbrain

I have an opportunity to buy some KG 5.5's locally. Link to ad

I currently run KSF 10.5's with the KSF-C5 center. Is $300 a good deal for the 5.5's? Also, if I did buy them, I would run the 10.5's as rear surrounds. Would the C5 match the 5.5's?

I'm in the process of cobbling a 2 ch. rig together, so the KG's would be used mainly for movies with little music.

Any listening impressions of the KG's? They look cool.

I purchased a pair of KG5.5's a few months back and quite frankly I wouldn't sell mine for anything less than $500.00. I got a great deal on them. I payed $220.00. I dickered with the seller for a few days online and when I got them down to $250.00 I asked if I could come by and listen to them. When I got there and threw on some Jethro Tull and listened to how clear and accurate they were I knew they were mine. These things are fantastic. I thought I might sell them for a little profit, but once I got them home I listened to them for a couple of days comparing them to the KG4's I got and quite frankly they blew them away. I compared them to my Cornwalls and realized that they were keepers.They are pretty efficient speakers. I don't think you can go wrong for $300.00, but wheel and deal, you might get lucky and get them cheaper. You won't be disappointed in their performance, as long as their components are in good shape.

Tom

To be fair to you , there is no comparison. The Cornwalls are in a class all by themselves. But, what I did notice is that the KG5.5's have very good and defined highs, the mids are good and the bass is tight and extends much lower than the KG4's or the KG4.2's. . The stage presence is great. You can get a feel for where the different instruments are, as if the musicians were right there in your room. I believe that the KG5.5 deal I made is the second best deal I have made on Klipsch speakers when it comes to bang for the buck. The best deal is my 73 vertical horn Cornwalls.

Tom

I have never heard that exact set up, but experience tells me that there will be a bit of a sonic mismatch...Not as bad as a non-Klipsch center...but a difference none the less.

It all depends on how picky you are about a seamless soundstage.

You would do better with a KG 2.2v or 2.5v. They can usually be had for around $150 on ebay.

Good luck with the purchase. I have always been a fan of the KG line. I like the sound better than any of the synergy lines, except maybe the newest line of Synergy.

I think the upper end would be much more subdued in the Synergy's as opposed to the KG5.5's.

I personally would use more Synergy's for surround, either KSF-S5's or more of what you have, 10.5's or 8.5's.

Keith