Wanted: Klipsch Pro Speakers

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

I joined a band a few months ago. I play keyboards- mostly Hammond organ settings, but some piano/rhodes as well. We're finally getting ready to go out gigging, and I don't have any speakers that are up to the task. I love how my Cornwalls sound, so I thought, what about Klipsch pro speakers? I know they're hard to get a hold of, but I would really like to get some a pair of the Pro models to go out gigging.

I'm not really sure which model would be appropriate, as I'm not that familiar with them. I wouldn't be ready to buy until after Christmas, just have too much on my plate right now. However, I figured it might be helpful to put the word out early, as these don't seem to be that common. I have been thinking about split La Scalas, as they could allow more creativity in packing, and you're not hauling as much weight at a time versus a KP-301. Is this correct?

Any ideas you guys have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

-Jon

The KP-3## and KP-3### series are all great for touring. They are significantly smaller than split lascalas and have about the same output capability, if not more. They are lighter and go deeper too. In fact, it was the KP-3002 that made me the insane klipsch fanatic that I am today.

It's sad that Klipsch isn't building PA equipment anymore - insane performance without breaking the bank.

Back to topic, are you looking for a personal keyboard setup or a PA rig for the entire band?

Do you have a real Hammond organ and Leslie cabinet or are you using a synth-Hammond? To get the Hammond/Leslie sound out of a synth, I'd get one of the rack mount units that approximates the rotating speaker sound. Also maybe consider a tube pre-amp for your rig so you can overdrive for distortion (Jon Lord of DP style).

Let's talk about your sound first, then we can figure out stage amplification and speakers.

Michael

Hey Mike,

Good questions. I'm looking for a personal amplification setup. I play 99% Hammond organ sounds- using two keyboards- an Alesis QS8 and a korg triton. I have a mixer to sum them. I was actually wondering if I'd be better getting a Leslie! I played a real Hammond through a 145 Leslie and it was awesome! While I don't think I'd want to carry around a whole Hammond (HUGE) a single Leslie wouldn't be any bigger than two speakers (required to properly get the effect with simulators, and still doesn't sound good).

I'll have to see. I have 2 months to plan, so that gives me some time. If I did more keyboard/synth tones, then speakers would be important, but literally everything but one song uses Hammond organ. I have heard of a company called Motion Sound that makes real Leslies that can be used with keyboards, but they're just as expensive as the Hammond ones, and seem kinda bright sounding.

The tube preamp is a great idea! I would definetly like to be able to get some overdrive.
Any recommendations?

-Jon

One note about using read Leslie cabinets with keyboard instruments (read: NOT actual organs) is that the inputs might be different sensitivity. I recall the old ones having the amps in the leslie cabinets, and the control cable that connected the two had to give signals to the rotating motors. So there is a compatibility issue.

If you are using electronic keys, there are rack mount MIDI boxes with great Hammond sounds including overdrive and key click. If you are happy with that sound you could just go for a standard miniPA type rig for your on stage sound.

How does the band's PA work? As bands get better and their venues bigger, generally they go from deafening stage sound to a more accurate quieter on-stage volume, with the PA doing more of the blending of instruments and better monitoring systems providing a more even balance for the performers. If your PA is big enough, I'd opt for a smaller onstage rig, since portability seems to be important to you.

Sounds like a rack with processing (Leslie box, delay, preamp, amp) and some type of all-in-one cabinets should suit you. Perhaps KP262 or 362's on a road case behind you or on stands might do the trick.

Hey Mike,

The band's PA is just for practice, it's a very small mono Peavey system with only 4 or 5 channels. Most places we use the local venue's PA for our vocals, everyone else just uses amps. As far as the Leslie- Trek II makes convertor boxes that supply power, and allow you to switch rotor speeds, as well as convert to stanard line level 1/4 inch input.

As far as Hammond sounds, I have plenty of sound generation in my keyboards, I just need an amplification system. I'm also prepared to get an EQ if need be to tame the highs going into a Leslie.

I'll have to weigh the positives and negatives of Leslie versus PA speakers. I appreciate the recommendations of the Klipsch speakers. If I do go with PA speakers, I definetly want a BIG, vintage type sound, which is what had me thinking about split La Scalas, though they sure are big!

-Jon

Hey Mike,

Are you referring to the La Scalas, or the KP-301s?

I was thinking the same thing about all purpose speakers- When they're home, I would use them in the home theater, so they would provide a lot of function for me, whichever model I end up going with.

-Jon