plinth for Thorens TD-124

sfellini

Hi All -

I got my new Thorens TT running, which will replace

my Garrard 301 while it gets a servicing (still haven't

heard back from Loricraft in England, though).

The TD-124 came with a nice 3012 arm, and I added

a Denon 103. The plinth though is on the lightweight

side and I'd like to eventually replace it with something

more substantial.

Does anyone on the forum know someone who builds

nice plinths for the 124?

Thanks,

Steve.

post-17643-13819314262134_thumb.jpg

From my eBay ad:

The plinth, built to accommodate 12 tonearms, is a beautiful, simple and modern-looking high-mass constrained layer damping type built of cherry-veneered Russian birch-ply and high-quality MDF, which is extremely neutral and effective. The Russian birch-ply is very dense with no air pockets, and the whole is meticulously clamped together for a perfect marriage of materials. Each succeeding layer is cut differently, with less material cut away as layer succeeds layer to maximize mass and minimize resonances, and to leave the motor sufficiently well-ventilated for longer life. The plinth was built and finished in a beautiful cherry veneer under Jean Nantaiss direction and with his collaboration by a professional cabinet-maker and musician with experience building guitars. For those interested, we are willing to entertain similar rebuild/restoration projects for certain vintage turntables.

Mike

Steve,

We have the identical setup (including the plinth). [:)]

I am also looking for a plinth for a long time. Original plinth is difficult to find.

Here are some links I bookmarked:

http://tw.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/comtw888168/album?.dir=24bb&.src=ph&store=&prodid=

http://www.woodhorn.com/td124.htm

I am considering to buy a solid wood block 15x22x3.5 and make one myself. Here is what I have in mind:

td124.jpg

Kudret

Can any of you guys with a 12" arm board tell me how wide it is? I currently have a 9" arm board for my TD-124. I'm planning to make my own plinth based on the design that Mike has shown above. Then i would like to get a dust cover made. I want to make sure that my plinth is wide enough to account for a 12" arm just incase.

There was a long thread on Audiogon that talks about making your own heavy plinth. I can't seem to find it now.

Jeremy