Auto On/Off RW-12 Not Working

jimtgunt47

Has anyone had any experience with the Auto On/Off? Just purchased new RW-12---The

Auto On switch ( I understand) is supposed to engage within 2 seconds of receiving a

signal----mine turns off when I turn my system off, but rarely comes on when the system's

on.

Connected to Yamaha 2700 Receiver via Monster cable 400 Sub cable---the thing's got

arrows on it (indicating what exactly)....is this a one-way cable....if so, should the arrows

point toward the sub or toward the receiver?

Not a 911, but would appreciate input from someone who has experience with the RW-

Emailed Klipsch support--awaiting response..

First of all the arrow should be pointing into your sub. It's going preout of av receiver into the lfe in or high level in on the rw-12. Now, with the auto on, after 15 minutes of no signal it will turn to standby. When it senses a signal loud enough for bass, it will kick in. I don't like it on auto because sometimes it will go off if your watching something without bass for a while, then when bass hits, there's a slight pause for it to notice it. Either turn it on or off or always on but it's up to you. I emailed klipsch about this on my rw-8. They said it uses the same amount of power with auto on/off, as compared to just leaving it on, so i just leave mine on all the time. Hope this helps.

Does your receiver give you the option to choose between a subwoofer being 'on' or 'off'? Also, some receivers won't output a subwoofer signal if the main speakers are set to 'large' instead of 'small'.

On my SVS I simply leave it on all the time. If I'm going to be away for a bit I do turn it off, but most of the time its on.

This is a known problem with the Auto-On function. The sub will "go to sleep" quickly when there is nothing being sent to it, but it won't "wake up" properly when something IS fed to it. You may be able to alleviate this by using a Y-splitter and using both of the sub's inputs.

However, the best solution is what wuzzzer suggested; just leave it ON all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah ha! I also have the Yamaha RX-V2700 and am noticing the same problem with the delayed response. Sometimes I have to jack the volume up to activate it.....I will look into adjusting the speaker size in the setup.

Jato - look into obtaining the RX-V2700 receiver manager software - it allows you to control EVERY thing on the receiver from your computer via the RS-232C interface on the back of the unit.... I'll attempt to post a link - if it doesn't work I'll get it to you somehow.

Any cable with "arrows" pointing in one direction or another is just useless...the electrons don't care which way they go! I avoid anything with "Monster Cable" as it is always sold for 3,000% over cost - seriously...it really is 3,000%.

Software - direct download

http://www.yamahapab.com/assets/downloads/exefiles/RcvMgr2700.v1.0.zip

Manual - direct download

http://www.yamahapab.com/assets/downloads/ReceiverManager_Manual_RX-V2700.pdf

The software and manual are free - you will need a free 9-pin serial port and a null modem cable with female ends on both sides. If you build one yourself:

(pin 2 - wires to - pin 3) / (pin 3 - wires to - pin 2) / (pin 5 - wires to - pin 5) / (pin 7 - wires to - pin 8) / (pin 8 - wires to - pin 7)

Some have used a serial to ethernet ($100.00) to manage the receiver via their network vs. having a serial cable tied to their computer. You can not manage it using the existing network connection.

Phil

The purpose of the arrows is because the shield is disconnected from the destination end....which is important for maintaining a low noise floor (especially with longer unbalanced line-level runs). Though I agree Monster is way overpriced, the direction of the arrow isn't completely arbitrary.

FWIW, this is something easily measured and readibly audible - I wanna say it's on the order of 20dB difference in noise floor, but I'd have to look it up.

It might help the auto-on system if you leave your software (receiver controls) with the sub at maximum signal, and control the sub's volume with it's control. That way the sub should trigger on with less volume in the room, and be somewhat less susceptible to shutting off while it's still receiving program material.

Michael