THX Ultra2 setup & H/K Receiver

xfiring

I am thinking about getting the THX Ultra2 for my basement setup, room to be ~ 11 x 30 x 7.7 (ceiling). Due to budgetary reasons I was thinking about just running these off of my H/K AVR630 I have. Will this receiver 7x75 give enough juice (I hear the high current amps give more power than is listed) or should I try to sell it and go towards something like the outlaw pre/pro setup?

Thanks.

They don't give more power than is listed, they just give more clean power and the power rating is rated in the amp's full 20Hz to 20,000Hz bandwidth.

The way I think about it is if you're going to be spending lots of money on speakers (I don't know how much the Ultra2 system is but I can't it imagine being cheap) you owe it to yourself to seriously consider upgrading the amplification as well.

You can always buy the speakers and then go from there. The Ultra2 system would be a tremendous platform to build on.

This Audioholics reviewer was extremely impressed with the THX Ultra 2 system, using a Denon AV-3806, which, to my knowledge, is a good but not necessarily high end receiver:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/KlipschUltra2Systemp1.php

As wuzzzer said, the speaker system is a platform to build on; it shouldn't require an ultra high end, high $ power source to sound great. However, I would guess that anyone who can afford a $10K speaker system can probably afford a $1K amp/receiver (if not now, eventually).

In my experience...no. It will *work*, but you won't get anywhere near what that system is capable of. I normally hit them with about 300 a side on the mains and 150 on the back to really wake them up. Otherwise, they'll sound good...but they won't scare you.

As for the Outlaw setup...look at doing the preamp, but look into pro amps instead. A lot more bang for the buck. You can do 5 of the Behringer A-500 amps run monoblock at about 400 a channel for about $1K. Yeah, okay, it will take up more rack space, but you'll get beucoup headroom.