can't decide... thoughts?

dp1954

Hey all.

I want to check out the mac sound, but don't want to put a whole lot of cash into it. I've been using tubes now for about 2 years. I ran across a nice 1900 that I posted about a couple of days ago and had pretty much made my mind up to purchase it. But in the mean time I also ran across A really nice mc-250. Does the 250 have autoformers... I've heard that these are the source of the 'mac' sound.. true or not? Which is the better sound? Anybody with experience with both// either? Right now I am running a pair of lascalas on a scott 222c and a pair of cornwalls using an eico hf81. I've been very happy with this setup, but you guys know how the disease works... Just gotta check out the 'mac' sound... maybe I'm missing something. But I don't want to put out a bunch of cash just to check it out... who knows.. I may not like it. Then again maybe I should stay away... I might like it too much.. Thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

Russel is for sure the expert on Mac. & can set us straight on the Question. But I was told by Barry the well known Mac dealer on e- bay that the 2505 was the first Mac. with autoformers, I belive I also read the same on Russels sight. Since the 250 seems to be the same amp as the 2505, except without the meters I want to belive it has the Autoformers.

Please let us know what you find out.

Cornman

The MC-250 has autoformers - they're the two black cubes side by side on the top.

The MAC 1900 does not. (Ever notice the 1900, and it's older brother the 1700, doesn't say "McIntosh" on it? I wonder if they felt receivers were beneath them somehow...)

Personally, I've never been that jazzed by the 250 - it's a good solid state amp, usually puts out about 75 WPC, quite reliable, all the standard Mac virtues. Still, to me, it's not the best sounding thing out there. I liked the sound of the 1900 better.

Unless I'm misremembering, the 1900 can be used as a tuner-preamp if you should decide to upgrade in the future - check to see if there are jumpers between the preamp and power amp sections in the back.

Again, my apologies to those who love their Mc-250s. It's a fine amp, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice.

After thinking things over I just decided that I didn't want to mess with separates at this time so I have purchased the 1900. I'm planning on using it in a bedroom system with a set of chorus I's that I have stored away and having the fm was a plus. I did some research and you are right... the 1900 doesn't have autoformers and the 250 does. I really don't know if this is going to make that much different, but hopefully the 1900 will give me a 'taste' of the mac sound. and it is funny that you don't see 'mckintosh' on the receiver.. only says MAC 1900. I'm almost hoping that I don't like the sound. ....

Thanks

Dave