Tube rolling in my new Mono setup :-P

Invidiosulus

Well,

It's another guitar amp.

Last weekend I picked up a Mesa/Boogie MkIII SimulClass.

It sounded pretty good but I thought it had a sort of familiar flat boring kind of a tone.

I looked in the back and sure enough, the 12AX7's were Mesa branded made in russia pieces of crap.

I swapped in some old RCA's I had laying around and man alive did the sound improve.

I've been running the MkIII in 15w class A mode and it's way louder then needed in my apt.

Class AB is just downright silly.

Peace,

Josh

I tried some Mesa 12AX7's in my old Fender and did not like the sound. I found some 25 year old Fender branded 12AX7's and 12AT7's in an old amp. The size of these compared to modern is just slightly narrower, and they did not have the 'S' shaped shield between the two sets of triode elements. Heavenly sound! Of all the preamp tubes in your amp, the most critical is the first one in the signal path. A great sounding tube there will make a hugh difference overall.

I've tried Groove Tubes (pre and power 6L6) but I don't care for their sound either - to tight sounding - I use them for backup spares. The best power tubes I've found for my amp are the Sovtek 5881WXT (mil spec 6L6). They are cheap and sound better than the many other tubes I've used. They have a lush dynamic midrange tone that gets the old style sound I like.