Openly Baffled... The NEXT Project!...

chops

Hows work goin? Got any updates?

No, unfortunately, not yet. For the past couple of weeks we've had a couple guys here at the house doing some remodeling. Right now, the rooms are a mess and can't move much around plus I don't want to get in their way.

However, I am running a couple of ideas through my head with a different method of mounting the drivers to the baffle. It's called "magnet mounting" where the driver is held in place by the magnet on a bracket of some sorts, and then not screwed to, but held up against the baffle and sealed with some soft foam between the driver basket and baffle.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=diy;action=display;num=1162819072;start=30#41

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion-rev1.htm

I'm still trying to figure the whole thing out and see if it's really worth the effort or if it's just a bunch of BS. Have any of you guys heard anything about this method?

Once we get the remodeling done, I'll hop back on this project with much gusto! [;)]

Well I think it's a bunch of BS unless you go with very large baffles. In other words, don't try to extend the output below the acoustical loading of the baffle. That would be akin to using EQ below the cutoff of a horn - only it's worse in this case.

However, Dana's idea looks extremely promising and not at all too intrusive on the footprint in the room. A modification I would make on that patent would be to construct the rear walls of the enclosure instead of relying on the walls in your room. This would give you more flexibility with placement and give you more bracing options.

Dana and Mike,

This DOES look like an interesting twist. Are those exponential baffles pretty much open in the rear? Kind of like an OB but folded in the middle?

Neither one of you would happen to have any pictures of this kind of design, would you? Those drawings are a little difficult to go by.

If these are something along the lines of what I'm thinking about, I might just try these out.

I'd play with side wings to achieve better bass, too. A piece along the side of each woofer might help out.

I'm toying with the idea of cobbling up some OBs for the 605B I've got sitting around just to hear what they'd do. I'd love to find some super cheap local Regencies or Altec 620 cabs, but not counting on it.

I'm using open baffles like these http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/open.htm with my Altec 604k's and I really like what I hear.

Btw, Ben, I have a pair of 620 cabinets sitting at a friend's storage place in NJ. I'll check with him if he plans to use them or not.

Dana and Mike,

This DOES look like an interesting twist. Are those exponential baffles pretty much open in the rear? Kind of like an OB but folded in the middle?

Neither one of you would happen to have any pictures of this kind of design, would you? Those drawings are a little difficult to go by.

If these are something along the lines of what I'm thinking about, I might just try these out.

Looks like it. That's why I thought they might be of interest. Appears that they run the gambut of a modified two-piece OB to the more elaborate "Karlson-type" slot form.

DM

I'd play with side wings to achieve better bass, too. A piece along the side of each woofer might help out.

I'm toying with the idea of cobbling up some OBs for the 605B I've got sitting around just to hear what they'd do. I'd love to find some super cheap local Regencies or Altec 620 cabs, but not counting on it.

I'm using open baffles like these http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/open.htm with my Altec 604k's and I really like what I hear.

Btw, Ben, I have a pair of 620 cabinets sitting at a friend's storage place in NJ. I'll check with him if he plans to use them or not.

That would be super, Guy. Thanks. Let me know what you find.

I had seen that OB website - it looks workable for my situation and is a possibility. BTW, I have 605A - don't know why I typed 605B.