Heritage Center Channel

DrWho

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never got dimensions back on the Altec horn - so "no"...

But really - the design is effectively finished. The geometry of the cabinet doesn't matter as long as the internal volume is maintained and the drivers are mounted as close to each other as possible. The only other consideration is that you keep the internal port mouth away from boundaries inside the cabinet.

If you have measuring equipment available, then I would cut the ports too long - which will put the tuning point too low. And then you can shorten at will to account for any unpredicted behavior. I suppose you could do this by ear too.

I'm not good at drawing designs, but I suppose I could whip something up...I might get around to it later tonight or tomorrow.

I never got dimensions back on the Altec horn - so "no"...

But really - the design is effectively finished. The geometry of the cabinet doesn't matter as long as the internal volume is maintained and the drivers are mounted as close to each other as possible. The only other consideration is that you keep the internal port mouth away from boundaries inside the cabinet.

If you have measuring equipment available, then I would cut the ports too long - which will put the tuning point too low. And then you can shorten at will to account for any unpredicted behavior. I suppose you could do this by ear too.

I'm not good at drawing designs, but I suppose I could whip something up...I might get around to it later tonight or tomorrow.

Doc,

I have Altec 511 horns also which may be better anyway due to the length being 14" flange to flange vs. 22" for the K400. That would also allow 2-way operation using the 902 drivers.

What woofers, volume and ports do you think would work good with this option. I can draw it up.

rigma

What MF/HF section are you using for your mains? (assuming khorn bottoms?)

On the first page of the thread I mentioned the Eminence Delta Pro-12:
http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_speaker_detail.asp?web_detail_link=DELTA%20PRO-12A&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=1
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-510&ctab=2#Tabs

And then two baffle layouts were proposed:
untitled.GIF

And:

untitled.GIF
(as inspired by EAW)

Both are drawn to scale actually.

In both cases, the net internal volume is 5 cubic feet and there are two 4" diameter ports, each 2" long. In that latter picture, the ports could probably even be installed to the insides of the slots, allowing the cabinet to be narrower - but also requiring it to be deeper too.

oh wow, that's a tight space...

how far away is the listening position and what is the height of the TV?

Is this going to be used as a center between your Jubilees? If so, I would recommend going with the K510 tweeter with the K69 driver similar to what sfogg is doing. It would be a better tonal match and smaller than any of your alternatives. And then you might want to consider a different woofer selection too...but I haven't thought that far ahead [;)]

oh wow, that's a tight space...

how far away is the listening position and what is the height of the TV?

Is this going to be used as a center between your Jubilees? If so, I would recommend going with the K510 tweeter with the K69 driver similar to what sfogg is doing. It would be a better tonal match and smaller than any of your alternatives. And then you might want to consider a different woofer selection too...but I haven't thought that far ahead [;)]

Yes once the Jub's are done they will be the front speakers and the Khorns will be the rear.

The TV is 64" tall and 64" wide and the listening position is 15" back. Yea, I thought about the K510 & 69 it just I already have the Altec 511 but I guess I could easily sell them. If the K510 is the best option then that is what I will do.

rigma