Heresy III and NAD components: Questions

ibanezhater

I am the proud owner of a pair of Klipsch kg 2.2s from around 1991-92. They sound great with my current system - Onkyo stereo receiver and an old Onkyo CD player from the late 1980's. Garbage, but I had to get something quick and super cheap after my Yamaha receiver and CD player died. I plan on upgrading to a full NAD system - HDCD, phono, receiver.

I also plan on getting a pair of Heresy III's ASAP! I plan on keeping the kg 2.2 speakers and run them as "speaker B." Maybe use them to add a little bass (with Mapleshade stands). Can NAD receivers allow both pairs of speakers to run at the same time? Speakers "A" and "B" run simultaneously?

More importantly, how will the NAD system sound with the Heresey IIIs? The listening room is a small bedroom with wooden floors, no carpeting.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I can't comment on H3's as I don't own a pair and I haven't listened to them yet. I do own a few (six) pair of H2's and H1's and listened to them with a NAD 7250PE reciever which I have had since new. I like the combination and I think they match up nicely. I've just connected a HK730 that I picked up to try out with the H's because so many forum members say this receiver sounds good too. They jury's still out since I've just hooked it up but it seems to have plenty of power which the NAD by the way does too. In any case I think you won't go wrong with a NAD/heresy combo. Oh, were you looking at new NAD or some of the older equipment?

My NAD 7100 can run 2 pair of speakers at the same time n/p.

I assume you are purchasing NAD components, of which I have the C series (see profile)

I like the setup with my H3's, but I feel the horns are a bit bright for my liking and I am constantly adjusting treble on my NAD pre. Might be the SS amp, or might just be "the NAD sound" I used to have a ST-70 but didnt buy a quality pre. My mistake.

The Heresy 3 is a great speaker, but needs a subwoofer. Adding a ksw12 sub to my setup improved it tremendously. However, my next move will be a nicer sub, either an SVS pc-plus or a HSU. After that, Ill probably kick my Pro-Ject Debut TT up a notch and get a Music Hall with a nicer cart, platter and arm.

I listen to classic rock, pop, and some rap. Overall very happy so far. NAD makes nice gear. Good luck!

post-21157-1381931459321_thumb.jpg

My system is different, but since it uses NAD and Klipsch, you might be interested in my take on your situation, as well as what I hear.

1) I have no idea how to answer your question about running two sets of speakers off of the NAD. Email NAD and ask the horse's mouth. Dealers vary in their knowledge. Will your NAD have a level control to differentially adjust the level of two sets of speakers? I think the kg 2.2s had a sensitivity of 93 dB 1wt 1M, and the Heresy IIIs are rated at 99 dB -- I'll bet the 6 dB difference will minimize any bass help you would get from them, unless you have a way to turn them up relative to the Heresy IIIs. This may cause them to distort, compared to the Heresy IIIs. If your NAD will support a powered subwoofer, you might be better off saving up for a good sub (new or used) and adjusting it to a moderate level, so that it won't interfere with the considerable purity of the sound of the Heresy.

2) I have NAD separates and Klipschorns, Belle Klipsch center, Heresy II surround (for music, the surround signals sometimes pass through a Lexicon ambiance simulator, and for movies there is no extra processing - Lexicon on bypass). The one surround channel (set for no processing) that uses 1/2 of a NAD 150 wt stereo power amp (NAD 272) sounds very good with the Heresy II (I've listened critically, temporarily using the Heresy as a main speaker). But the other surround that uses 1/2 of a Yamaha MX 600-U 135 wt. power amp through a Heresy II sounds just about as good, just different. How similar are the Heresy IIs and the Heresy IIIs? I find the Heresy IIs to be very forgiving and sweet.

3) My NAD 272 power amps and NAD T163 preamp sound very, very good with the Klipschorns and the Belle Klipsch, better than the Yamaha, with two qualifications. The NAD / Klipschorn or Belle combo reveal a little more detail than the Yamaha and Klipschorn team I used until relatively recently. In a very few CDs some of what is revealed is not pretty -- a little too much breathiness, or a damaged sax reed that shows up with the NADs, and was veiled with the Yamaha, etc. I think the Yamaha is a little mushier (lower resolution), and the mush covered up a few defects in recordings. Also, the NAD T 163 tuner/preamp/ movie oriented unit has -- or picks up -- a little hum .... it went back to NAD under warranty, and they improved it, but I can still hear soft hum between selections through the Klipschorns. I don't hear the T 163's hum coming through the Heresy IIs, when they are set to the same pink noise sound pressure level, perhaps because the Heresy IIs have less bass than the Klipschorns. All in all, though, the NAD units with the Khorns, Belle, and Heresy surrounds sound superb -- better than the Yamaha, especially in the case of the Khorns -- a very pure, clean, effortless, dynamic sound, very exciting, once the music starts playing to cover the slight hum.

You may want to experiment with a throw rug covering just part of the floor. Rummage sale type. I had a room like yours, with a hardwood floor, when I was in college. A rag rug improved the sound greatly.

Mapleshade stands are probably fine, as are others, but I often smell snake oil while reading the Mapleshade catalog.

Good luck!

Also, the NAD T 163 tuner/preamp/ movie oriented unit has -- or picks up -- a little hum .... it went back to NAD under warranty, and they improved it, but I can still hear soft hum between selections through the Klipschorns.

Interesting, I have a bit of hum with my setup, but ONLY when using my NAD pre's phone section, at high volmue between tracks. I have yet to diagnose, may be my table. Crystal clear black background with CD's.

Clarence,

We have the same power amp, and, I think, the same CD player (is yours a C 542?). I'm convinced my hum is coming from, or through the NAD T 163, because it has so many circuits in it, all kinds of Dolby, DTS, EARS, Hot and Cold running water.

The Klipschorns have plenty of response at the two prime hum points, 60 Hz, and 120 Hz.

We used to have a cat named Clarence, so named because he was always talking (meowing), like the famed lawyer Clarence Darrow. At least he didn't hum.