Klipsch rsw12 or rsw15

thewolf

If possible go for the 15,but I had the 12 and it's no slouch,I could have been happy w/the 12 but I wanted cherry.Just a side not,onecall had the 12 for $999 w/free shipping and 18 months nopay,I don't know if it's still on.

I did end up w/the rsw15(the rsw12 's not available in cherry).I would not say the difference was huge for my use(mostly music and concerts).In all honesty I really liked the 12 for music,maybe a hair quicker?I dunno but again no cherry so...Bottom line,it's a matter of price,for a few hun more 15,but for $500 more,the 12.I'd be surprised to hear anyone being disapointed w/the 12 for music and an occasional movie,it's got plenty output.Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cornwalls have a 15" woofer...

RSW 15 " and a passive 15" too.

You can always turn it down, but there is no way (IMO) once you try the difference, you would go back.

My suggestion.... RSW 15 All day.... all night. Hands down

just because the woofer size is different doesn't mean it can not do it? don't just a book by the cover I guess. A smaller sized cone does not mean it cannot go as deep as the 15 inch cornwall woofer which was not tuned as a subwoofer from the get go so.....

Gary,

My room is close to the size of yours and I use an RSW12 with my Cornwall mains. It keeps up and then some! Yes, the 15 goes a bit deeper but you'll have no problem with the 12. It's a GREAT sub. Would I trade mine for a 15? Of course. Do I really need to? Not really.

- Gary

P.S. PLENTY of G R O W L!!!!

Gary, I guess you brough the rsw12 instead of the 15?

Jay just so you know, I also own the RSW 15 and the KLIPSCH THX subs,,,,, Which are a 12" woofer as you described and as I understand it... With the 15" magnet on them... They ARE better than the RSW 15" for HT but I also have 2 of those and the KA 1000 amp..

No doubt about it.. THX Ultra 2 sub system ROCKS>>>

But, I will again agree with you on principle... "Just because 15 blahh vs 12 blahh" But do this. ASK those in this room that have both... or have tested both.

Prices being close...

Hands down I bet 8 to 9 out of 10, would def say go with the RSW15. It is just THAT much better with bigger heritage... (Cornwalls, Belles, K horns, La Scalas.)

I also use the RSW 15 with K horns upstairs.. It is a amazing sub as well.

"true but many cannot waf have the 15 inch woofer in which the 12 gives a great alternative"

Yes, WAF it is a BIG sub.... read what GaryMD said. I guess all of these things are personal choice, and to some extent what is really important to you as well?

If you include your passion in this hobby with your WAF/ significant other , you might be surprised how he/ she will agree with you after they have a chance to understand and hear it themselves too.

The question here was with Cornwalls, which other than K horns, go the lowest in the Heritage lineup,. They are also noted for already having a good bottom end. In this case I still feel the RSW 15 is a better choice. Your, of course, free to have your opinion too. It is just mine in this one question.

if this helps too...

RSW-15 Specifications

frequency response

19-120Hz ±3dB

power handling

FTC Rated Power: 650 watts continuous, 30-110Hz @ <1% THD / Dynamic Power*: 2400 watts @ <1% THD / *Dynamic power indicates the actual power this amplifier will deliver to the woofer under normal oper

max continuous output

121dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

low pass crossover

Continuously variable from 40-120Hz, 36dB/octave slope above 120Hz

woofer

K-1114-T 15" (38.1cm) rear-firing Cerametallic® cone, cast aluminum frame active / KD-20-T 15" (38.1cm) front-firing Cerametallic® cone, cast aluminum frame passive

amplifier

BASH® digital hybrid

phase

Switchable 0 or 180 degrees

enclosure material

MDF

enclosure type

Bass reflex via passive radiator

outputs

2) Line level RCA phono jacks (unfiltered)

inputs

2) Line level RCA phono jacks, Lowpass Enable / Disable switch for LFE mode

auto power on

2 second ON delay, 15 minute OFF delay

dimensions

19.2" (48.8cm) x 18.6" (47.2cm) x 24.5" (62.2cm)

weight

85 lbs. (38.6kg)

finishes

Cherry, Black wood veneer

voltage

110/120 VAC 60Hz

built from

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RSW-12 Specifications

frequency response

22-120Hz ±3dB

power handling

FTC Rated Power: 625 watts continuous, 35-110Hz @ <1% THD / Dynamic Power*: 2400 watts @ <1% THD / *Dynamic power indicates the actual power this amplifier will deliver to the woofer under normal oper

max continuous output

119dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

low pass crossover

Continuously variable from 40-120Hz, 36dB/octave slope above 120Hz

woofer

K-1113-T 12" (30.48cm) rear-firing Cerametallic® cone, cast aluminum frame active / KD-124-T 12" (30.48cm) front-firing Cerametallic® cone, cast aluminum frame passive

amplifier

BASH® digital hybrid

phase

Switchable 0 or 180 degrees

enclosure material

MDF

enclosure type

Bass reflex via passive radiator

outputs

2) Line level RCA phono jacks (unfiltered)

inputs

2) Line level RCA phono jacks, Lowpass Enable / Disable switch for LFE mode

auto power on

2 second ON delay, 15 minute OFF delay

dimensions

16.2" (41.1cm) x 15.6" (39.6cm) x 22.75" (57.8cm)

weight

58 lbs. (26.3kg)

finishes

Black Ash vinyl veneer

voltage

110/120 VAC 60Hz

export voltage

230 VAC 50/60Hz

built from

I found a great deal on a RSW12. Just received it this evening, and had it fired up within 10 minutes. I must say that I am very impressed. This thing keeps up just fine with the Corns. My favorite part is that the couch rumbles with every explosion on the screen.........AWESOME!

Thanks to all for the great advice. This forum rocks!