Another forum member asking for a specific sub opinion(s)

Tom Adams

Id like to picked yalls collective brains here about a budget sub. First, what Im working with.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The system Im working with is composed of an older Denon AVR3300, a Sony multi changer DVD, and a pair of Klipsch RSX5s. This is just a simple den system that Im making due with (due to the wife having left and taking the RB5s with her), so theres no real critical listening or watching of movies and such. For that activity Im off to the dedicated all Heritage 7.1 HT room. My den is roughly 16 wide by 18 long and is open to the kitchen. The ceiling vaults up to around 14 and the room is rather live having a tile floor and lots of glass.

At first I thought maybe Id just say eff-it and buy something like a pair of Klipsch F3s, but money is a bit tight. Then I listened this past weekend to a pair of B&W 602 S3s which really, really sounded nice and at around $650 wouldnt be too bad a deal. But then I got to listening to my RSX5s with some decent music and got to thinking that maybe my best budget solution would be the addition of a sub especially since the B&W 602s would probably need one anyway.

So what do you guys think? REMEMBER Im not going for super output or really digging deep but want a nice pleasing sub that will compliment the RSXs while at the same time doing an adequate job of filling a rather open space. My budget is $500 or less. Would I be happy with a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Dayton Titanic 10 sub kit? Should I be looking for a used 12 sub made by ______?

As always, your opinions are welcome and I appreciate the help.

Tom

I've been looking for something very similar with a very similar situation. From what I have found I would recommend first that you consider the Sub 12. This is a really good sub at it's price point. I have heard it capably fill the BB warehouse with great bass; I'm sure it can handle your room. It's deep, musical, and blends well with many different speakers. It can be purchased usually at BB for $450. HHGregg has these as well. DrWho recommended these as a great value and very underrated sub, and I'm finding this to be true. I find it compares well with many subs in the $1k range.

If you go the Titanic route, I would recommend that you Get the 500 watt HPS sub amp, the Reference 12"HF sub and their prebuilt 2.0 cubic foot enclosure, precut for the driver and amp. Similar output to the Titanic, but much better sound quality, and well regarded by the DIY comunity.

Another DIY option is the 12" Rythmik Audio Kit, which is a servo sub and will have great sound quality more comensurate with your Heritage room.

Also consider the PSB subs. They have a 12" in your range which I find to be very musical, blends well, but doesn't extend as deep as the Sub12.

Frankly, from what you describe, and what I have found from my searching, and at your pricepoint, I'd go with a known quantity (Klipsch) go to a BB or HHG, get a Sub12, and call it a day.

whatever happens DO NOT ask to demo the sub, or the stupidity you will witness will instantly squash your good "sub buyin" vibes.

Well,the fat greasy salesman will take out his SesameStreet VS TeenageTurtleNinjaMutants(whatever) VS Britney Speared DVD and ruin it all. [:$]