Setup Questions Heresy + HK3480

redraiderjim

I have a pair of Klipsch Heresy I (1979) and an HK3480. The pairing seems to work for me, but I was wondering what I could match up with the Heresy's to produce a little more bass and give more of a quad "feel". Don't have a ton of money and just spent part of my budget getting new crossovers from Mr. Crites.

So, I was thinking a possibly a good subwoofer (looking for suggestions) and later maybe another set of Heresy's or another set in theHeritage line (suggestions?). Considered a pair of KG4's but they are 6 ohm and I've heard the HK doesn't like mixing 6 & 8 ohm.

thanks- jim

From what most people have said the Heresy's are a bit bass shy. A very capable subwoofer in the Klipsch line is the Sub-12 Synergy sub. Currently its on sale for about $437 at Best Buy.

I'd suggest getting a sub instead of a second pair of main speakers. You're not going to get anymore bass by adding another pair of Heresy, KG4 or pretty much any other set of speakers. There are a lot of negatives associated with running two pairs of main speakers at the same time.

If you feel they lack Bass now, Sub Woofer is the less expensive way out, or I don't know for sure, but Tubes might be another possiblity.......I ran a sub with my KG4's, my buddy uses a Scott 299 with KG'4's and he doesn't need a sub, they sound great without one. I run a sub with my H2's, I don't like them without it.............adding anymore speakers will not increase your Bass...................SUB or look into TUBES........

Thanks for the input, I'll look for the Klipsch Synergy Sub.

One more question:

Does the HK3480 have any issues with running 4 speakers (with same impeadence)? I'm a newbie at this and want to try to get the most out of what I've got. The back of the 3480 has the normal A&B outputs for 4 speakers and also a sub out- does that make it 4.1?

Might be really cool to have the H1's, a sub and some Cornwall or Chorus...

Its really not a good idea to set up speakers like that. What will happen is called 'comb filtering.' It does more harm than good to the audio signal reaching your ears.

Any system that is a x.1 designation (5.1, 6.1, etc) is technically all completely separate, discrete channels. The HK3480 has no LFE output which would be the .1 in the x.1 designation. It does have a subwoofer output, but there isn't any way for the receiver's amplifier to send only the bass to the sub and the rest of the sound to the main speakers. The main speakers will always be sent the full signal of sound.

You'd have two left channels and two right channels. It is a stereo amplifier and there isn't any way to have any type of surround sound or multi-channel sound from it.

I have ran the KLF30s and the Forte IIs that I have at the same time for a brief period of time. I don't know if any amplifier damage would result from extended listening to 2 pairs of speakers.

After your suggestion, I have been looking at some subwoofers (SVS and the Klipsch KSW-12) to match up with my Heresys. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Is it better to run the Heresys with the subwoofer (sub using HK3480 sub out) or run the Heresys thru the sub? Sorry if that is a really dumb question, but I am still learning about higher end audio and need good input.

Also, I did a long listen with those sweet Heresys this weekend and noticed that jazz and classical really sings with them, but rock seemed to be missing a little something. Not sure if the sub will fix that, might be the crossovers (my Crites crossxr's are literally on the way) will help out. This might also be due to some of the recordings -OR- Am I a KG4 guy?

Physical Graffiti sounded hollow, but my SACD of SRV Texas Flood was great.

Even though the HK is new, I would consider TUBES, what is a good entry level unit to drive the Heresys?

thanks

I'd choose the SVS hands down over the KSW sub.

The best connection would be to use the subwoofer output on the H/K hooked up to the subwoofer, and the Heresys hooked up to the main outputs on the H/K.

Heresys have been called bass shy, so rock music with a good bass beat won't sound as good as classical or jazz that uses instruments that tend to stay more in the upper bass to upper midrange area.

So are you saying the 3480 sends a full range single to the subwoofer outputs?

The Sub-12 is an amazing speaker for the price and should mate well to the Heresies at moderate listening levels. If the reciever doesn't provide any crossover functions, then you'll be just fine setting its crossover to dial in where the mains roll off.

One important thing I've learned in this hobby is to be very patient with equipment purchases and never let the budget be the deterrent - make long term goals and save up if you need to. Often the extra time saving money leads to new learning and a different direction travelled altogether.

I have an HK3480, and run a pair of KG5.5's and a pair of KG4's for A and B speakers. They sound fantastic together. The 5.5's have a great top and bottom and the 4's seem to compliment the mids very well. I am no audio guru but I have experienced no problem running the 6 ohm 4's and 8 ohm 5.5's at the same time. As I have said they compliment each other well, at least to my ears they do. I don't understand why one would think there would be some sort of problem running both sets at the same time. Maybe in theory its not right, but in reality they sound pretty damn good.

Tom

I installed "Crites" crossovers last night and was shocked at how different the Heresy I's sounded!

The mid horn is a flat out thing of beaty and after adjusting the tilt on the speakers and finding the sweet spot placement. Physical Grafftti sounds much better now!

Guess I didn't know what a Heresy sounds like with those old crossovers- the new ones made a big improvement! I DO NOT need a second pair of speakers.

Now on to the SVS PB10.